Eating issues

Just to update you - Guinness ate like a champ this morning after not getting his dinner. He would not eat at all last night so after 15 minutes we took it up and he didnt' get anything until this morning. I have to admit it was hard because later on he started pawing at his bowl wanting to eat. We figured he had his chance and was playing a game. I do think he was starting to train us.

I don't think it is allergies but wanted to know what the symptoms are? Did your pups get sick or vomit? Guinness is just seeming not interested, he gets distracted quite easily. Maybe he needs Ritalin for pups. Just kidding. :biggrin2:
 
When my puppy was around 6 months old getting him to eat was like pulling teeth. What I had to do was feed him in his crate and only give him a limited amount of time, about 10-15 minutes since I was usually busy preparing my own meals immediately after feeding the dogs, then the food went away. This actually teaches them they need to eat when the food is presented and not fool around.

Could it result in some skipped meals? Yes. Will it hurt him? No. A healthy dog will not allow himself to starve.

When I was doing this he's not eat, miss a meal or two, eat for a week, decide not to eat, and so on for about 2 months. It was aggravating, frustrating and one of the toughest periods of my little boy's puppyhood. Now, at a 16 months, he eats like a typical Sheltie.

Ultimately you need to set the rules around mealtime or you will be playing this game for a very long time. You've already started this by feeding in the crates. Don't make a fuss about it, just remove the food bowl. Make sure you limit treats during this time because you don't want them to think if they don't eat they will get 'junk food' (aka treats) instead. If you need to give rewards for something, use the kibble.

Is yours related to mine? Lol Same issue with Celtic, did actually the same. Yes he was thin for a while but now he eats will. Celtic is still picky about treats for training but that's a different issue, rewards should be motivating. Celtic likes toys better anyway.
 
You are so right - the other Sheltie, Reilly is glad whenever there is leftover food around. He gained so much weight, was a little furball with legs. We are having to limit his food and he is almost down to the ideal weight.

Guinness ate about half his food last night so we put it up and didn't give him anymore until morning. He ate fine without a problem. Maybe we are on to something.
 
Is yours related to mine? Lol Same issue with Celtic, did actually the same. Yes he was thin for a while but now he eats will.

:lol: I have no idea, Dr. Shelli. We'll have to compare pedigrees sometime. How many nights did you and I talk about Keiran's and Celtic's eating habits? I thought he'd never grow out of that 'I'm not eating' game.

Celtic is still picky about treats for training but that's a different issue, rewards should be motivating. Celtic likes toys better anyway.

Now that Keiran eats, he'll eat ANYTHING he can put in his mouth. :rolleyes2: He's not picky but definitely likes food when training. Toys are only for playtime.
 
Last edited:
I wonder if it is a change in their growth. Phoebe is a nibbler. It takes a couple of hours for her to finish 1/2 cup of kibble, and basically started when she turned six months. She will be eight months tomorrow and isn't any taller than she was at six months. Maybe a pause in growth equals a pause in appetite?
 
I think you should go for a dog meal supplier. They are well experienced and know what amount of supplements are to be included in a pet's diet according to its health and age.
 
Clarabelle once went 3 days barely eating because Ms Fussy pants simply doesn't like chicken. She loves beef and lamb, but we screw up and buy chicken, and she refuses to eat it. She doesn't even like human chicken. Are we letting her get away with it? Yes. Because really, it's easy to just not buy chicken flavored food. Her daddy, Casey liked being watched while he ate. So, the Belles were crated and he was not while they ate. Yes, we spoil ours. Cooper eats in the living room now simply because Annabelle could never figure out that she didn't have to go to her crate to eat. zso at breakfast, Annabelle eats in her crate, then I have to let her out and Cooper goes into the same crate because there is NO WAY I'm leaving Cooper unsupervised all day. He'd probably take the extra car out for a joy ride or try to sneak out to hook up with a girl at the library. Or just invite every kid in the neighborhood over for a party.
 
Back
Top