Embarrasing agility moments

Okay. I openly admit I chuckled. I'm sure you were horrified, but honestly, from what my instructor says....it happens to everyone at least once...but probably more. She told me how she's smacked into wings, fallen over legs of jumps. Once, she said she sipped and lied there thinking, "if I don't move, no one will notice" but her dog came to her and started barking for her to get up.

My first show-n-go (first ever trial like situation). I realized I was going to the wrong way when I no longer saw the numbers on the cones. Sigh. I just ran off with Koji.

At my first trial. Koji took the first jump then ran off. I can hear in the video my hubby was taking....his sister says, "i think he's coming to us", hubby says, "nah, he always ignores me". He was there, at there feet. I tried to get him back on track. Nothing. I finally picked him up, mouthed thanks to all the judges and walked off. My very first run. You'd think I'd want to quit.

I know for a fact, I am going to trip over the wings. I've done it in class. I'll do it in trial one day. I've taken out a jump myself in class. I'll probably do it in trial too.

So don't fear. I'm sure it won't be your ONLY embarrassing moment. But as my instructor stresses, as long as the dog is having fun, who cares. I treated Koji like he won his MACH after my first run....even though I was carrying him. Silly dog. I just like to pretend like this happens to everyone, so they're used to seeing it. hehehe.
 
The weaves are just over 5ft as well, there is no maximum height limit in the rules. We have 2 diff heights at the clubs but rarely use the 4ft ones. I prefer the smaller ones but us small dog people generally get over-ruled by the big dog owners and end up with the taller weaves. Personally I think its a bit daunting for a small dog to do weaves that are taller than their handler.
 
Caro, I have one for you.

We were talking about embarasing agility moments tonight in class. A man who is an AKC agility judge told us his. He was running at a trial and was 3 jumps from the end with a great run going, they got to the A frame and his dog stopped at the top with 2 feet on one side and 2 on the other and peed on the top of the A frame! :oA line of pee running down the side of all to see. :lol: He wanted to hide in a hole as he collected his dog and left.
 
Oh dont worry, Deska may not have peed or run off at agility but he's done it at flyball! At every flyball demo he has run off to cadge food off bystanders and he peed on a flyball jump at a comp when we were entering the arena and we got banned! Yet somehow being embarassed at agility with tons of people watching and nowhere to hide is so much worse!

I'm beginning to see a pattern...

All I can say is lucky I have Tully and can redeem myself as a not too hopeless handler and trainer! Mind you, I did kick Tully in the head when she was coming out of a tunnel one trial - stunned the poor thing.
 
Caro: We're just started learning agility and I've discovered it isn't just asking the pup to jump over bars, etc. Who knew? There is so much to the skill. But I still had to laugh at your video. You kept such a good attitude throughout it! I expect we'll have many many days like that ahead of us. Thank you for sharing!
 
Agility

We are going to FitnTrim in Rowley. Currently we are in Lisa's classes - level 2 obility (mix of agility and obedience - mostly agility though at this point). I heard that the owner, Karen is wonderful and am looking forward to agility classes with her. Do you train someplace in this area? Pam
 
Back
Top