Embarrasing agility moments

Well, not the same way as yours went... but try having a dog LEAVE THE RING at a trial on you.
It was my first trial, and while Athena was GREAT, I was also showing a dog for another woman. The dog wasn't ready, is spooky, overly soft, and doesn't really care about working with people. I was running the dog in class for her, knew the dog wasn't ready, and she entered her anyway (because looking back now, I think she believed if Athena could do it in such a short time, hers could as well). Well, we get in the ring at the trial, the dog does one or two obstacles and leaves. There was no getting her back with me. This happened all. six. runs. of that weekend. I was completely embarrassed, it being my first trial and all, and the owner kept stressing me out by the whole ordeal, which of course wasn't helped by Athena Qing and winning all six of her classes.
Needless to say, I no longer run the dog. She and her owner are now someone elses issue
 
Agility

I think I started this thread awhile back but my most embarassing moment is when I passed out in the ring.
 
Well, not the same way as yours went... but try having a dog LEAVE THE RING at a trial on you.


Stacey, that reminded me of a run at one of my first UKC agilty trials(indoors). Not my dog but a really nice intact beagle named Elvis. Anyone who knows Beagles knows their nose gets them in trouble lot of the time. Well, Elvis's owner was doing a really good job with him. But he'd put his nose to ground every once in a while and was not really listening but she kept getting him back. About half way though, Elvis put his nose down and took off at a dead run though the ring, out of it and down the hall towards the bathrooms. Somebody yelled "Elvis has left the building". His owner wanted to die.

Turned out somebody brought an in heat bitch(thought no would know:rolleyes2:) and Elvis found her crate down the hall. They kicked them out for the second trial of the day and Elvis did much better.:smile2:
 
Actually you don't need to be in a trial to be embarassed. We were at USDAA trials and Romeo saw a dog he liked to disturb and went racing after him. He got distracted by a moving dog running the trial in the ring and started running up and down the flexi plastic fence on high alert wanting to get to it. If I hadn't caught him (heart racing, mine, not his) I would forever be known as the one with the dog that disrupts trials. :uhoh:
 
LOL
that was the most adorable video! I laughed so hard, sorry, but I did

I can only imagine how mortified you probably were... But my god he was soooooo adorable and FUNNY... Deska decided, yeah no jumps today... I think Clearly Sheltie Silly is what got into him! You looked GREAT, and he was smiling and that matters?
As somebody here said if you want focus all the time and seriousness ONLY you woulda got a Border Collie ;) LOL
I am sure you guys have lots of other perfect runs :)
 
That's a good pick up Sharon. The A-Frame is usually at my eye level - so about 5ft (I'm 5'3) but Monday night it was higher than me - probably 5'5. I must say something because Tully has come off that particular A-Frame and quite a few dogs training baulk at it, and if its higher than what they expect that may be why! There were only a few small dogs trialling on Monday(16" or under) and none of us picked that up.

I think I've worked out Deska's problem - its an audience! It makes sense that the last couple of trials were only small and he did ok. Last night all the competitors were set up at one end of the course so it looked packed. And at flyball training he is great, but variable at comps and at demontations held at festivals he is just a pain. So now how do I get him to calm down when he has an audience but still have the drive to run?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top