Enzo + Trialing = Eek!

Yeah--I didn't share the bad video :lol::razz: And actually have the problems were my husband's handling! Figured he wouldn't want that showcased!

I'm a little worried now. Last night we went to the building to train and it seems Enzo has developed a new issue in the weaves. He goes too fast and skips poles in the middle. He also is regressing on the teeter (hesitates to get on, even for high value treats). And he still dances on and off of the dogwalk.

I'm wondering if I should pull him from the trial...I know it's a month away but we're out of town for 10 days in the middle.

The problem with allowing him to trial while he's having these issues, is that you either have to indicate to him that he did something wrong during his run (which might dishearten him) or you have to let any mistakes go and give him the idea that the rules are different during a trial. I'm not sure it's worth undoing the work you've done so far. I know it's really exciting to get out there and see what will happen, but I do think that it is worth waiting. Of course, you don't have to make this decision yet - he might have just been having a bad night.
 
The problem with allowing him to trial while he's having these issues, is that you either have to indicate to him that he did something wrong during his run (which might dishearten him) or you have to let any mistakes go and give him the idea that the rules are different during a trial. I'm not sure it's worth undoing the work you've done so far. I know it's really exciting to get out there and see what will happen, but I do think that it is worth waiting. Of course, you don't have to make this decision yet - he might have just been having a bad night.

Definitely good thoughts--thank you! I think you're right. I went home at lunch today and worked his weaves and he only popped out once. Go figure. We will keep training and see how he does. We don't have to decide right away. Thanks for chiming in!
 
Ashley, I have to agree with Cara and vote for pulling him from the trial. Over the years I'm sure you've seen what can happen when a dog is pushed into a trial environment to early. Thusfar you've been very steadfast in making sure he was truly ready before trailing him.

If you want to run him in anything to get him exposure to a trial environment, then I'd suggest USDAA Jumpers. There won't be a teeter or weaves to worry about and you can still get a gauge of where you are.
 
I don't think I would pull him. It's still a month away and they are going to have bad training session once in while.
If you are going for experience and not a Q, then just don't do the things you don't think are ready. (Ex- You can make up your own path in FAST, so you could skip the weaves, teeter, and or dogwalk.) I have had some friends even just do a shortened jww or std corse with their young dogs. (Ex- they would do the start of course and then a couple more jumps on way to finish.)
 
Back
Top