Evaluating Puppy Personality

Oh, I'm glad you went back, too. Happy for you that the second visit was much more positive and that you didn't just write him off immediately. Sounds like an observant, clever dog to have watched the older dog sit for his treat, and then do the same. You may have your hands full with a very smart pup! :lol:

Let us know when you bring him home and of course, pictures are mandatory! :biggrin2:
 
I don't want to derail this thread, but I feel like I need to share this story about Missy.

When I decided I wanted a puppy, I called a couple breeders. The second one I called asked me the basic questions, "what color are you looking for, male or female, etc?". I told her a little about myself, and I told her I didn't care about color, but wanted a female. She had two 4 week old puppies available, both pretty much identical bi-blacks, one boy, one girl. I snuck out of work early and drove the 45 minutes to go see this puppy. When I finally held her in my arms, she SHOOK! Like she was terrified! The breeder said she liked me, and I could have her if I wanted her. And this is where I get stupid- I said I would talk to my apartment complex, since I was already at my max pet limit with 2 cats, and let her know asap. On Monday I got the ok, so I called her and said I wanted the puppy and put down a deposit. I know what you're thinking. "What the heck was she thinking??"

Well, I went back the next weekend, this time with my sister, to see the puppy again just to play with them and try to see if I could bond with this little puppy. The two bi-blues of the litter crawled all over us and played with us and had a good ole time. Where were the bi-black twins? Hiding in the corner. I have this on video folks. I did hold her for a little bit, but she wasn't interested in being held, wasn't interested in my sister and I AT ALL.

I went for a final visit when she was 8 weeks old. Her bi-blue sister had already gone to her new home the day before, and while I was there her bi-blue brother was picked up. I spent about 2 hours trying to engage her to play. She did play, but seemed a little uneasy about me. She did a little tug, but that's it. Her twin was more interested in playing with me than she was. That was the last time I could visit her before she came home because I had a trip to Orlando planned, and I wouldn't be picking her up until she was 9 1/2 weeks old. She spend about a week and a half with the breeder without her littermates.

So fast-forward to me flying home from Orlando, practically taking my sister hostage to go pick up my puppy. "I don't have time to drop you off, you have to go with me!" That little dog wiggled and gave kisses when she was handed over. She was soo exited, like I would expect a puppy to be. We drove back to my apartment, took her potty outside, but as soon as we put her on the floor in my apartment.. she turned into this crazy maniac puppy. She was doing puppy zoomies around us, just playing non stop! That little stinker deceived me! Here I was thinking I was getting this calm, shy little puppy, and nope.. crazy outgoing puppy. I think that week and a half at the breeder made her more confident, I'm not sure.

She is a very social dog, who has never met a stranger. Loves everyone, plays hard, and best of all, has a great bond with me. Now, I'm not saying that you should take this puppy, even if you're not sure. By all means, go with your gut, go with what the breeder says. I think ultimately I was very stupid but managed to luck out. And I suck at evaluating puppy's personalities, but then again, I don't spend much time around very young puppies.

Also, just wanted to add- I did meet both parents and her mom was more laid back, quiet, reserved. Just sat with us and let us pet her. My sister wanted to take her home. Dad was more rambunctious and I would say Missy is a lot like him. We were expecting her to be like mom.
 
Last edited:
I can't help but think that the pups who are initially aloof and then come out of their shells once they get to know you are probably more typical of the breed than the ones who fawn all over you at first meeting.
 
I've seen and heard all sorts of methods for selecting the right puppy. I don't think any of them are better than going with your gut. I wanted a feisty pup with some attitude, and when I saw the litter, I went with the one who pranced up to his mom and took a poop right on her muzzle. For some odd reason, I fell in love with Neechee at just that moment.

With Bela, it was also "going with my gut". She was frightened by the doorbell, and her foster mom caught her and put her into my lap. She tucked her little head under my chin and licked my shoulder, then looked at me with her liquid brown eyes. I melted like butter in July.

Since my Border Collies were acquired day 1 for obedience and herding, I was a little more interested in temperament and drive. But after all, the reason I chose Max was because he came and climbed up in my lap and fell asleep.
 
When I went to meet my breeder, after having talked quite a bit by phone about my plans for the Sheltie, she picked up Layla and said, "This is the puppy I have selected for you." Layla at six and a half weeks wasn't snuggly or kissy. She was calm, reserved, independent -- more interested in exploring the kennel and playing with her Mommy Niya. She did sit sweetly on my lap, very relaxed and poised. We put her back with her brothers and sisters for about 10 minutes while we discussed final details in another room.

But when it was time to go, I asked to take a final peek into the room where the puppies were in an x-pen. I opened the door, and all the puppies were sleeping or playing -- except Layla. She was on the other side of the pen from her siblings, standing with her face against the wire, watching the door. When I looked in, she met my gaze and looked at me. It was almost as if she were saying, "I am yours. You are mine. This is settled." :sadsmile:
 
Back
Top