I'm just going back a couple of weeks to a show we did at the end of August. No prizes here but I came home elated at our performance. In the Combined grade 3-5 agility we were Eliminated - because stupidly I sidestepped around a jump wing and this sent Epic off course but I was thrilled with the run. The Grade 1-4 agility course was very straightforward and I knew speed would be required. Pushed too hard and Epic just missed the DW contact. On time we would have won the class, which was encouraging as normally on these very quick courses we have not been the fastest. Then the combined grade 4-7 Jumping. It was our first time running against grade 7 dogs (the top grade including agility champions) and I think I was rather overwhelmed and made a pig's ear of the start of the course. BUT then Epic made the most incredible weave entry he has ever done - I mean I've not even attempted this in training. He had to slice a jump and make a right hand entry from a left handed send. It actually looks easier in the video than it was because the angles were tough but he nailed it and finished the course superbly! Bizarrely I was happier with this run than I have been many of the ones we have been placed on - because I really saw what he is capable of so it was really motivational. This is the video from that show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9I83TGPXv0
We trained hard over the next couple of weeks, working at all the areas I had identified as weak points during August's shows and focussing on threadles, serpentines and backsides which I knew would probably be in our courses.
So this weekend was our 'local' show, only half an our away and one I'm very fond of as two years ago this was the first KC show we had been to. Epic was measured and had a go in the Allsorts class but was quite nervous and we were all over the place.
Just to look back, this was us in 2013:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym2IsYLUHnM
2015: Tenterden Magic Saturday
First class was Combined Grades 4-7 Agility. I have decided to use these classes as training rounds and focus on getting one particular aspect of the course right, rather than looking to go clear as there are challenges we are not up to. Yet. So I was reasonably pleased with our run but there was a backside after a long straight run that was unlikely to happen because I've taught Epic to drive on and simply couldn't push him out enough. Verbal backside command required! I was cross with the teeter because I didn't give any stop cues. Next was the Grade 1-4 agility which was my priority run. It was a repeat of the previous show - pushing for speed, missed the DW contact again by a fraction and again on time he would have comfortably won by over 3 secs. As it happened he was 3rd. Then the jumping class. My stupid fault for pulling off the tunnel (my instructor was watching and I got told off afterwards!!) and then messed up later for an elimination. But I was super pleased with the very tight Ketschker turn (just behind the weaves, before we got eliminated).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COdMoH9iXrc
Tenterden Magic Sunday
If you're thinking it rains a lot in England and looks cold, you would be correct on both counts! This year I have been blessing my new trail shoes which were worth the money along with waterproof socks! They are proving essential wear. I am gutted my first run did not get filmed (only the first jump then the person stopped recording by mistake!) as I was thrilled with it. It was another combined 4-7 class and I focussed on just getting the technical section correct. Epic did it perfectly. I'm just going to brag a little and say I filmed 13 other dogs (I do this to watch and learn) and only one got this section right. I'm putting up the video to show the course and also because she is a lovely sheltie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EbckClHj6Y
I couldn't pull Epic to the wrong end of the tunnel (something we struggle with) so we were eliminated there but that was the only thing that went wrong.
Then my priority class, Grade 1-4 agility. A nice course flowing but with challenges. This time I didn't go for all out speed. It is one of the few times I have handled calmly all the way around and it went almost perfectly. We were clear and in the lead so just had to wait for the end of the class to see.
Epic had won!! Not only does this win put him up into Grade 5 (of 7) but it also gave him the final points needed to claim his Bronze Agility Warrant!!
So he is now Rivvalee Dark Knight AW(B) (subject to KC confirmation).
I am over the moon with this as it has been a long term goal and is the first time ever that any of my dogs have achieved a title.
The last run was a bit of a come down - my fault again as he could easily have gone clear but I was rushing (again) and didn't push him over the final serpentine jump. Hey ho. I am sooo going to try and achieve zen like calmness for future runs - that is my new goal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apeaoXhS9Gc
So, we have another weekend show next week, still in Grade 4 as you can't move up for 25 days. Then we hit Grade 5 for the last couple of shows of the season (indoor ones). Grade 5 is more demanding in terms of course challenges and also that 3 wins are needed to progress so plenty of time to gain experience. My new goals are to work at the Grade 7 inclusive classes and train for these courses and focus on jumping, as we have never won a jumping class and it seems to be a weak area generally for us. I'm also going to retrain the A-frame for speed, as Epic is not as quick as I would like over the apex and I want him to drive to the contact. I'm really looking forward to training these new skills and having a break from KC competitions over the winter, but what a great year it has been. I am so proud of Epic and I am determined to be the handler he deserves so he can reach his full potential. My long term goal is to run a demanding course and not need to apologise to him afterwards for confusing him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9I83TGPXv0
We trained hard over the next couple of weeks, working at all the areas I had identified as weak points during August's shows and focussing on threadles, serpentines and backsides which I knew would probably be in our courses.
So this weekend was our 'local' show, only half an our away and one I'm very fond of as two years ago this was the first KC show we had been to. Epic was measured and had a go in the Allsorts class but was quite nervous and we were all over the place.
Just to look back, this was us in 2013:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym2IsYLUHnM
2015: Tenterden Magic Saturday
First class was Combined Grades 4-7 Agility. I have decided to use these classes as training rounds and focus on getting one particular aspect of the course right, rather than looking to go clear as there are challenges we are not up to. Yet. So I was reasonably pleased with our run but there was a backside after a long straight run that was unlikely to happen because I've taught Epic to drive on and simply couldn't push him out enough. Verbal backside command required! I was cross with the teeter because I didn't give any stop cues. Next was the Grade 1-4 agility which was my priority run. It was a repeat of the previous show - pushing for speed, missed the DW contact again by a fraction and again on time he would have comfortably won by over 3 secs. As it happened he was 3rd. Then the jumping class. My stupid fault for pulling off the tunnel (my instructor was watching and I got told off afterwards!!) and then messed up later for an elimination. But I was super pleased with the very tight Ketschker turn (just behind the weaves, before we got eliminated).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COdMoH9iXrc
Tenterden Magic Sunday
If you're thinking it rains a lot in England and looks cold, you would be correct on both counts! This year I have been blessing my new trail shoes which were worth the money along with waterproof socks! They are proving essential wear. I am gutted my first run did not get filmed (only the first jump then the person stopped recording by mistake!) as I was thrilled with it. It was another combined 4-7 class and I focussed on just getting the technical section correct. Epic did it perfectly. I'm just going to brag a little and say I filmed 13 other dogs (I do this to watch and learn) and only one got this section right. I'm putting up the video to show the course and also because she is a lovely sheltie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EbckClHj6Y
I couldn't pull Epic to the wrong end of the tunnel (something we struggle with) so we were eliminated there but that was the only thing that went wrong.
Then my priority class, Grade 1-4 agility. A nice course flowing but with challenges. This time I didn't go for all out speed. It is one of the few times I have handled calmly all the way around and it went almost perfectly. We were clear and in the lead so just had to wait for the end of the class to see.
Epic had won!! Not only does this win put him up into Grade 5 (of 7) but it also gave him the final points needed to claim his Bronze Agility Warrant!!
So he is now Rivvalee Dark Knight AW(B) (subject to KC confirmation).

I am over the moon with this as it has been a long term goal and is the first time ever that any of my dogs have achieved a title.

The last run was a bit of a come down - my fault again as he could easily have gone clear but I was rushing (again) and didn't push him over the final serpentine jump. Hey ho. I am sooo going to try and achieve zen like calmness for future runs - that is my new goal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apeaoXhS9Gc
So, we have another weekend show next week, still in Grade 4 as you can't move up for 25 days. Then we hit Grade 5 for the last couple of shows of the season (indoor ones). Grade 5 is more demanding in terms of course challenges and also that 3 wins are needed to progress so plenty of time to gain experience. My new goals are to work at the Grade 7 inclusive classes and train for these courses and focus on jumping, as we have never won a jumping class and it seems to be a weak area generally for us. I'm also going to retrain the A-frame for speed, as Epic is not as quick as I would like over the apex and I want him to drive to the contact. I'm really looking forward to training these new skills and having a break from KC competitions over the winter, but what a great year it has been. I am so proud of Epic and I am determined to be the handler he deserves so he can reach his full potential. My long term goal is to run a demanding course and not need to apologise to him afterwards for confusing him



