Fatty Tumor

mimiretz

Forums Enthusiast
Lee took Oberon (who's 5) to the vet a few days ago, and the vet found a lump in his side (Oberon's, not Lee's). We took him back tonight and the vet aspirated the lump -- said it was just a fatty tumor and nothing to worry about. What a relief!!

Vet said they'll just keep an eye on it and measure it at each visit to make sure it isn't growing really fast or interfering with anything.
 
Gavin (14) has loads of fatty tumors...over a dozen. they have increased in size and quantity over the past 4 years. A few that he has had since he was younger (like 4-5 yrs old) have stayed relatively consistent in size.
I gave up on aspirating them over a year ago (his fatty tumor map was too busy to keep updating, too) ...too many and he's old enough that I'm not sure I'd even put him through surgery if they weren't benign. He has quite a few on his chest, one near an outer elbow, one on the inside of a forelimb, a few near his hips/back. It appears some are satellites, too (initially there was one and it seems to have sprouted neighboring lumps over time).

The largest is one on his chest near the ribcage. It seems to be growing somewhat. All are varying degrees of squishy (the biggest one feels like a sac of fluid/water to be honest). None seem to bother him or impeded movement. The near his elbow was a concern as that was one he has had since he was 4/5 but it hasn't grown appreciably over time.

Gavin has also had histiocytomas over the years, mostly on his chest. I have had vets looks at small bumps before and tell me they were too small for a needle biopsy. Right now Gavin has one such small bump on the inside of his one good rear leg. Since his other rear leg is pretty much useless I am more concerned than I might otherwise.
 
Glad it's just a fatty tumor! I recently found two small lumps on Bailey's side. We had them aspirated and thankfully also just fatty tumors. My vet said the same thing. We'll just monitor them for size right now.
 
Asta is the only pup we've had who got one - right in her wrist joint. It had to be removed as it was going to impede joint movement, it never came back and she never got another one. Labs are particularly prone to fatty tumors - I've seen softball sized ones on Labs...

Glad Oberon's lump is only a lipoma and nothing else!!
 
Yeah, Gavin's aren't visibly noticeable. The only one that I consider large is on his chest; the circumference is maybe tennis ball size but it is kinda mushed up against the ribcage so not very deep..

others vary but are coin sized (from nickel to half dollar).
 
Glad it's just a fatty tumor! I recently found two small lumps on Bailey's side. We had them aspirated and thankfully also just fatty tumors. My vet said the same thing. We'll just monitor them for size right now.
Sandstorm has one also, it scared us until we learned what it was, and the forum here is so helpful with these things!!
 
My Shelby has 4-5 fatty lumps, mostly on her sides. She got her first one at around 8 years old. She is 14 now. I did have one removed from her right front elbow when her vet was concerned it might impede motion. Shelby isn’t concerned about them so I’m not either.

Mark
 
Back
Top