Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

FDA warning on grain-free food

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Caro, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    the nutritionist link worked fine but the other link is still coming up with Viglink...............
    that was an interesting write up- I can see why people would be concerned. while she keeps mentioning science versus marketing stuff she provides no references and most of the links that I clicked in her article take you to other articles that she wrote. Makes you think that some big dog food company writes her a check........................................

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Noregrets

Noregrets Forums Regular

Jul 28, 2012
    Louisiana
    Ok, I am way late to the game. I Just found out about this warning last night . I haven’t logged in a long time, but knew to come back here to hear what was going on . I’m very concerned, but don’t really want to switch foods unless I have too. They have done so well on grain free. I’ve been feeding Breeze and Potter Acana forever. I did recently add Go Now for Potter. I was noticing some changes in him (mostly weight gain and a little less energy) and it coincided with acana changing their facility to the US. He improved on the go now so I now I feed that to him.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    nice to see you back here (will likely see you maybe in Sep). if your dogs are doing fine on what you currently feed them, don't obsess about it.....

4. Noregrets

Noregrets Forums Regular

Jul 28, 2012
    Louisiana
    Trying not to stress. It’s just frustrating, but I guess the same thing happens with our human food also. Good for you one day, bad the next.

I really like our new soccer arena trial in Harahan! Mark upshaw is judging also. Love his courses! See you soon! I’ve only done 1 trial this summer since Mavericks. Ready to get back into to agility.

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I've also only done one trial since then. we're only entered on Sat but it will be a start....
    I got over the stress of feeding the right food by switching brands and proteins on a regular basis.......

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    With humans though there is (usually) enough diversity in our diet to compensate for any deficiencies. I think Calliesmom's idea is a good one - switching things around regularly may help compensate for inadequacies in the food.

ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  7. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Y'know, I wasn't overly concerned until I've seen sooo many Weimaraner owners losing their pups. So then I thought I'd come here and see if the Shelties have the same issue. From what I'm seeing, nothing like the Weim's so that's good to hear. Of course, now I'm concerned for my Maddie. And ugh Fromm, why you changing recipes on me. LOL. I'm amazed at how many Weim owners are happily going to "grocery store" brands. I haven't been grain free for awhile, but I'm not sure I can go as low as Pedigree or things like that. Yuck.

Thanks everyone for the links to the great articles. Most of the people on the Weim board I'm on is going off of the main stuff everyone is talking about, not the in-depth research or the article from Dr. Dodds (I like reading articles where scientists, especially trusted ones, gives you their opinion on what they're reading. I'm more concerned about the taurine levels, how it affects the dogs, the fact that lamb and rice seemed to be the worst (wow) and that peas is in everything now. For now, I'm staying my course with rotating Fromm (they go through it all, grain free or not) and giving them raw liver and canned food. Scary though how man Weim's this is affecting. :(

Ann, ghggp and Caro like this.
  8. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Check out dogaware.com Lots of links on this subject (including Dr. Dodds article).

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I think it's interesting that after the recalls by the bigger brands, like Hills and Advance, a lot of people shifted to 'boutique' commercial foods. But what the latest findings are showing, is that a lot of companies are formulating to 'trends' rather than on a scientific basis. For me, if the big brands can get it wrong then I have less trust in the smaller, boutique brands. I fell into that trap and Tully ended up in emergency and the boutique company didn't want to know. I can see why people are going to Pedigree or cooking for themselves. But who's to say that's any better? And now there seems to be so many dogs with IBD, the cat vet said they've seen it in cats for years but there;s been an explosion in dog cases. Did we just not know this was going on before?

And thus end my philosophical musings!

ghggp likes this.
  10. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2019
    My vet told me the most researched foods are Hills, Purina, and Royal Canin when I asked him about grain free boutique food. I think that’s his polite way of telling me what he endorses without offending me. Seeing ACANA Singles mentioned in the DCM repost doesn’t provide comfort to me. My pup is on ACANA/Orijen. I hope I won’t regret my feeding decision a few years from now when the research on DCM generates more insight.

Piper's mom likes this.