BarbV
Forums Celebrity
I use both a bikini shaver and sharp round edged scissors.
First, I push the fur down through their toes to the pads. Then I turn the paw over and trim the fur between the pads using scissors.
Next step is to round out the front and sides of the foot a little so that I can get the longer hair away before I trim the nails.
At this point, I trim the nails with my dremmel. Then I finish rounding out the front of the foot. I use both nail and clipper at this point.
For the top of the foot, I take a slicker brush and brush against the direction of the fur in order to make the longer hair stand up. Then I take thinning shears to remove the parts sticking up.
As a final step, I'll take the clipper just to even things out.
If I still have energy, I'll trim the hocks and the forelegs (best way I ever found for the forelegs is: Brush the hair out so its tangle free. Starting at the top of the leg, with your thumb and forefinger wrapped around the leg, run your hand down to about 3/4 inch from where the fur stops. Make a horizontal cut against the line of your finger/thumb. When you brush it out, you'll have a pretty nice diagonal line, up the leg.
Hope this makes sense!
It sounds like alot of work, but once I get going, I really get into the groove and find myself almost unable to stop! I sure love well-groomed Sheltie feet.
First, I push the fur down through their toes to the pads. Then I turn the paw over and trim the fur between the pads using scissors.
Next step is to round out the front and sides of the foot a little so that I can get the longer hair away before I trim the nails.
At this point, I trim the nails with my dremmel. Then I finish rounding out the front of the foot. I use both nail and clipper at this point.
For the top of the foot, I take a slicker brush and brush against the direction of the fur in order to make the longer hair stand up. Then I take thinning shears to remove the parts sticking up.
As a final step, I'll take the clipper just to even things out.
If I still have energy, I'll trim the hocks and the forelegs (best way I ever found for the forelegs is: Brush the hair out so its tangle free. Starting at the top of the leg, with your thumb and forefinger wrapped around the leg, run your hand down to about 3/4 inch from where the fur stops. Make a horizontal cut against the line of your finger/thumb. When you brush it out, you'll have a pretty nice diagonal line, up the leg.
Hope this makes sense!
It sounds like alot of work, but once I get going, I really get into the groove and find myself almost unable to stop! I sure love well-groomed Sheltie feet.