First Sheltie Puppy

Thanks for all the advice everyone! She is just starting to get interested in a few toys, though her interest only stays for a minute or two, so trying to build on that :yes: She is still scared in the car and wants out of the crate on my lap, so taking that slowly.
I have another question, I am trying to train her to limit her barking (I know.....good luck with this :o) She has actually been really good about it, after a couple "No bark" commands, for now she only barks when she plays with other puppies which I have been letting go. Is it detrimental to the training to let her bark when playing with other dogs? (right now she plays chase with my parents JRT puppy every day and barks to instigate a chase)
Here are some pics! http://picasaweb.google.com/1029858...authkey=Gv1sRgCJKpyt7A_v72rwE&feat=directlink
 
Ah she is cute. The JRT too.

I have had pretty good luck teaching the quiet command. However, when it comes to playing with other dogs with Diva(my Tri girl and most vocal dog) I have 2 choices don't let her play or duct tapeher mouth shut.:lol:

Barking when playing doesn't seem to bleed over onto the rest ot the training. Diva doesn't bark at all during obedience and only a little during Agility usually if I make a mistake.
 
She's such a cutie! The JRT is also. :smile2: The 4 white legs is an unusual color pattern. Only time I've seen 4 white legs on a Sheltie was a Color-headed White bi-blue that takes lessons at my agility club.
 
She's such a cutie! The JRT is also. :smile2: The 4 white legs is an unusual color pattern. Only time I've seen 4 white legs on a Sheltie was a Color-headed White bi-blue that takes lessons at my agility club.

Diva has 4 white legs.:smile2: She is pretty heavy white factored.

Bones looks like he has a white band up his side and more(then my dogs) under his chest and abdomen so he is heavy white factored too. Getting close to that CHW territory.
 
Last edited:
Sadie's 5 months now and we have been going through this for the past couple months too.

CAR: As far as the car goes she's been sick a couple of times and these have been on the longer trips. I'm trying lots of short trips (2-4x wk) like around the block and to the store which hopefully will get her used to the motion.

TOYS: Sadie likes toys but has to have someone playing with her...While our older sheltie played for long periods of time by himself and then would bring the toy to us to play fetch. With Sadie our new puppy @11 wks started with playing "go get it" and she learned it within the first couple times. We started in the front entrance way which is about 7' x 9'; I sat at one end and rolled a plush ball toy towards the door, she would run a pick it up and brought to me to throw again...worked out great, at first i sat only 3-4 feet from the door and eventually moved back further each time we played/no matter which direction she went in I was within arm’s reach to ask for the ball back. I'd just hold onto the ball while it was still in her mouth and said "give"; she wanted to play again so learned to let go quickly. She also loves chasing the puppy sized Kong as it bounce in all directions (use it empty for fetch). We also play monkey in the middle…..Two people and roll the ball between each other with the puppy in the middle, sometime she gets the ball and sometimes not.

BARKING: Our breeder suggested the "No Bark" command followed by "Yes, Quite" in a softer tone and reward for being quite with lots of praise. She said if all else fails then try the lemon (the one that comes in the plastic lemon container). One good squirt in the mouth and that will stop the barking...all I have to do now is show her the lemon and she's quiet. (Just make sure if you do use the lemon that you are quick and they know they are being corrected for the barking). She's just discovered the doorbell now and I make sure I've got some kibble in my pocket and scatter a few on the floor after greeting whoever is at the door; this takes the attention off barking for the moment; in hopes that she is learning its ok to bark and once given the signal that’s enough or it’s ok she will stop ”yes, thank-you” (We do want her to alert us when there is someone strange on our property or in our house; but once given the signal we want alerting/barking to stop.) We're hoping it works…as training is in process at the moment.

NOTE: I have noticed with this puppy she does like the word “yes” when used in praises and positive reinforcement. It almost works better than “good girl” …go figure. We tried the down command for weeks and when I started praising with “yes!” she now drops like a lead weight when given the “down” command--she on the floor before the command is finished. Our older sheltie liked "such a good boy" it was actually better than getting a treat as a reward for him.
 
Last edited:
awww
what adorable Photos!!
welcome, little tri girl!!!
She kinda looks like Fluffy, Smudge's sister/bane of his existence dog?
Maybe just cuz she is a tri.. hope she will be a drama queen like the rest of the tri's I have met
 
Hi everyone, so just an update she did well on her long trip to my new apartment :winkgrin: There wasn't much traffic so it was about 30 minutes shorter trip than I thought, which probably helped a lot.
I do have a couple more questions regarding training, but maybe I should post them in a new thread?
1. It seems she is afraid of the command "Wait". I'm not sure why, whenever I say that command and give the signal she slinks away :( I don't know if I accidentally did something to startle her when I first started, this is pretty much the only thing she seems scared of from me (except when I run across the room saying "No!" when she is squatting :razz:), but how do I change this behavior? Do I just sit there with her giving her treats as she is sitting and I am saying "Wait" ? Or should I just teach her to wait without the command, holding the position until I say okay?
2. She refuses to go down, if I move to treat slowly forward like I have read to she goes forward a little and then moves her head back and just watches me, how can I get her to learn down?
She still only has a little interest in toys, but now loves to chase me around the apartment and go running laps sliding around the hardwood floors :smile2:
 
Down is also could be taught by you sitting on the floor with your legs bend and luring your pup under your legs- pup will have to go into down position to get to other side and get a treat.
Sounds like your car ride is improving. Yep, teaching in and out of parked car, playing in the car, feeding in the parked car etc will work as any training does. I concur with Justicemom that crating in the car will give them less sound and motion stimulation, specially in the plastic hard crate.
Not every puppy likes to play with toys and not every pup will retrieve, again, as any training - take it slowly and have fun! Che was not a game player as a baby but he started bringing his toys to tug now.
Drop the command wait, it might be too much and too early for your pup. Work with stay only. Do not forget to release from sit, it is much better when your release word is implemented early and from every position.
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NHqAW66-gE&feature=channel

Here is one of my favourite trainers on youtube... she uses positive enforcement only and clicker training... I think if you shape this behaviour you will find the down easier... because right now she doesn't go all the way, but she could be rewarded for the downward motion and learn it in steps... instead of waiting for her to go all the way down.. in the beginning

Give clicker training a try it is AMAZING.. especially for our breed.. Shelties are so smart... and you set a dog up for good learning/shaping behaviours that will help you and her throughout all her life!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top