First time trying to tape ears...grrr

yes the tape looks to be in the right place in the ear, see the bump/ridge on the lower part of the ear right where the tape ends/starts you dont want to go below that. There is defiantly an art form to doing ears that takes some trial and error to figure out. Also make sure you are holding your thumb on the tape to almost melt the glue on the ear so it holds in place.

Also one other thing when doing the roll to hold the ear down, I wrap it around my index finger to make sure its the correct diameter and I put it on the cut out circle part with the yarn and than bring the tip of the ear down to the tape while holding my index finger still in the roll so I make sure the ear is not bent too much.

I want to eventually make a diagram with pics, because I think having a visual diagram will make things easier for people...its on my to-do list:wink2:
 
Thanks LightPlum! I thought about doing the rolled tape part that way but I thought it would make his ears break too far down instead of having a 3/4 tip. Will he still get the 3/4 break bringing them down that far?

His ears looks so wierd right now because they're pancake flat against each other. I was gluing the rolled tape sides together as I saw on another site-do you guys just leave the rolled tape open so you can still fit your finger through it?
 
yes you want to make sure the ear is not bent otherwise you can cut off circulation to the tip of the ear and cause it to die.

perhaps I should clarify a bit on the tape position, you want it on the circle cutout part, but what it does it due to its size you put it so its half and half, half on the circle cutout part and the other half on the long strip in the ear. even though the ear looks like it will be too low, with the roll, its the break in the ear you are training on the back half of the ear....does that make sense or did I just make it worse?!?:lol:
 
yes you want to make sure the ear is not bent otherwise you can cut off circulation to the tip of the ear and cause it to die.

perhaps I should clarify a bit on the tape position, you want it on the circle cutout part, but what it does it due to its size you put it so its half and half, half on the circle cutout part and the other half on the long strip in the ear. even though the ear looks like it will be too low, with the roll, its the break in the ear you are training on the back half of the ear....does that make sense or did I just make it worse?!?:lol:

Yes, perfect! I actually undid the rolled tape version so that it isn't sticking together and is more of a "roll". So his ears aren't so flat. I think tomorrow I will redo the whole thing now that I have a better sense of what to do. You're a life saver-er, ear saver! lol
 
yes the tape looks to be in the right place in the ear, see the bump/ridge on the lower part of the ear right where the tape ends/starts you dont want to go below that. There is defiantly an art form to doing ears that takes some trial and error to figure out. Also make sure you are holding your thumb on the tape to almost melt the glue on the ear so it holds in place.

Also one other thing when doing the roll to hold the ear down, I wrap it around my index finger to make sure its the correct diameter and I put it on the cut out circle part with the yarn and than bring the tip of the ear down to the tape while holding my index finger still in the roll so I make sure the ear is not bent too much.

I want to eventually make a diagram with pics, because I think having a visual diagram will make things easier for people...its on my to-do list:wink2:

Real pictures, step by step, would be really helpful.

I know we all love the Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming, but I'm frustrated sometimes that its drawings and not actually photos.

I think we need a combination of both - photos overlaid with brush directions....a new book in the making for someone who is enterprising and actually knows how to groom! :smile2:
 
I've been struggling with the same issues and I'm ready to give up!!!!!!

What's your experience been like with the taping? My dogs now have some kind of reddish crust on their nodules below where the tape goes....I hope I'm not killing their ears!
 
I've never taped...only glued and have my own horror stories.

But I hear that using Japanese tape is alot easier than the traditional methods of taping.

Whatever you do, make sure you have a good adhesive remover on hand. I didn't, and ended up butchering Bacca's ears trying to remove glue; and had to cut it out instead. That was the end of his "gluing career".

I recommend Detachol. I found it on eBay, but I know some people were able to find it through their Pharamacy's.
 
Hi Barb, I actually have Detachol and the Unisolve wipes...Unisolve kicks butt! I have their ears undone in 60 seconds-literally-30 seconds per ear. My difficulty right now is getting the tape to stick when I roll the ear over it...it stuck with my 1 dog but not with the other. It's just trial and error I guess.
 
Hi Barb, I actually have Detachol and the Unisolve wipes...Unisolve kicks butt! I have their ears undone in 60 seconds-literally-30 seconds per ear. My difficulty right now is getting the tape to stick when I roll the ear over it...it stuck with my 1 dog but not with the other. It's just trial and error I guess.

its because your using the unisolve. while it takes it off quick it actually leaves behind a greasy residue thats a PITA to get the tape to stick well enough to the ears. Thats what the zo-eze is great it leaves no residue.
 
Back
Top