Fly and Mosquito Repellant for Shelties

I use this as well. We have a bad mosquito problem here in Florida and, unfortunately, I have a part of my yard that collects water. Perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes. I definitely get bit, but Meggie has never had any trouble. Why is it they can't invent something for me to take or put on my neck to repel the mosquitoes. They love me!

When I first moved here someone told me to use Skin so Soft. It didn't work for me. I honestly think some people attract them and others don't. Perhaps a scent issue or something like that. I don't know if it would be the same for dogs.

I think that's so. Mosquitos love my brother and he is allergic to them.Huge wheals-not pretty. He bathes in OFF or doesn't go out at night in warm weather. Same with fleas-we know if a fleas is around. Thankful he lives in W. S. Dak -no fleas

My dog Jazz-bugs didn't like her. She had like 2 ticks in her whole 15 yrs,all the other dogs would run in the same area and get tons of ticks if not on a preventative. When our house got infested with fleas in college(per Program/ Advantage days) she never got them. I never had her on flea/tick preventative she didn't need it. I use Frontline now. I did used Advantix by Justice is allergic to it.:( Nothing for mosquitos. Some people have had good luck with flys off.
 
I give all my shelties one B1 tablet a day. Plain B1 you can get at the drugstore. Not a complex B1. Mosquitos and fleas are rampant here in Az. Since giving my dogs these tabs I have never had any problems. B1 is inexpensive and since they are water so;uable there is no fear on a small dog getting sick, an overdose or allergic to them. They are great for humans to avoid biting things like mosquitos, chiggers and fleas. Any biting pest like that
 
I give all my shelties one B1 tablet a day. Plain B1 you can get at the drugstore. Not a complex B1. Mosquitos and fleas are rampant here in Az. Since giving my dogs these tabs I have never had any problems. B1 is inexpensive and since they are water so;uable there is no fear on a small dog getting sick, an overdose or allergic to them. They are great for humans to avoid biting things like mosquitos, chiggers and fleas. Any biting pest like that

That's interesting, I've never heard of that. Thanks! I'll give it a try!
 
Stupid Biting Insects

I'm longing for the warm weather so its gotten me thinking of bugs. :dead:

I can't tell you how torn I feel about flea/tick repellent! I've given this WAY more thought than it deserves! This is perhaps surpassing my search for the right dog food!

I went with Frontline Plus last summer, but it was such a pain for me to get a hold of since its not available in Canada so I won't be buying it again. We didn't do any hiking so ticks were not an issue.

I looked into K9 Advantix and Revolution but I was told by two vets that ticks often still bite with both of these products. Back to square one. :(

My vet suggested Advantage for fleas, then buying a chemical spray to apply when we go hiking. I'd like to stay away from chemicals if possible.

I would REALLY like to try something all natural, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot available in Canada. Can anyone recommend something??

Tentatively, when the weather gets warmer, I'm first going to try brewer's or nutritional yeast and garlic powder. Sheltiemom also suggested vitamin B1 in their water, so I may try that as well.

In conjunction, I was thinking of trying citronella oil for ticks, mosquitoes and biting flies.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
 
I am going to try the diatomaceous (DE) earth in my yard this year. I heard you have to buy the food grade DE. It is non-toxic and supposedly kills all bugs.

I am up for anything to remove ticks from my yard.
 
I am going to try the diatomaceous (DE) earth in my yard this year. I heard you have to buy the food grade DE. It is non-toxic and supposedly kills all bugs.

I am up for anything to remove ticks from my yard.

I don't think that treating our yard will do much since we've only got a small patch of grass. My pack is the most bothered when we go for walks through fields or hiking.

I think I read that there is diatomaceious earth that you can sprinkle on dogs, so I suppose I could try that.

I sprinkled DE around my hostas last summer to keep the slugs away. It worked great so long as we kept applying it.
 
I am going to try the diatomaceous (DE) earth in my yard this year. I heard you have to buy the food grade DE. It is non-toxic and supposedly kills all bugs.

I am up for anything to remove ticks from my yard.

I'd like to try this too in my dog pen--our tick problem last fall was outrageous. If you know where we can get it, please let me know, Danielle. Thanks!
 
I'd like to try this too in my dog pen--our tick problem last fall was outrageous. If you know where we can get it, please let me know, Danielle. Thanks!

Ann-
I called my local garden center and asked them if they carried the food grade DE and they said yes. I still have not picked it up, so I don't know the cost or anything, but they did carry. It may be worth a call to your local garden center.
 
Mally is on Frontline Plus as a flea and tick preventative. Monthly he is also on Interceptor a flavor tab that prevents heartworm disease, and control adult hookworm infection and removes and controls adult roundworms and whipworms in dogs and puppies. I was under the assumption that the Interceptor takes care of the mosquitos as well. I might be wrong, though.
 
I'm longing for the warm weather so its gotten me thinking of bugs. :dead:

I can't tell you how torn I feel about flea/tick repellent! I've given this WAY more thought than it deserves! This is perhaps surpassing my search for the right dog food!

I went with Frontline Plus last summer, but it was such a pain for me to get a hold of since its not available in Canada so I won't be buying it again. We didn't do any hiking so ticks were not an issue.

I looked into K9 Advantix and Revolution but I was told by two vets that ticks often still bite with both of these products. Back to square one. :(

My vet suggested Advantage for fleas, then buying a chemical spray to apply when we go hiking. I'd like to stay away from chemicals if possible.

I would REALLY like to try something all natural, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot available in Canada. Can anyone recommend something??

Tentatively, when the weather gets warmer, I'm first going to try brewer's or nutritional yeast and garlic powder. Sheltiemom also suggested vitamin B1 in their water, so I may try that as well.

In conjunction, I was thinking of trying citronella oil for ticks, mosquitoes and biting flies.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Just chiming in about Revolution. We have used it now for almost 2 years,and love this product.There are loads of informational things on the internet,and I did read about it not being effective.So I brought those concerns to our vet.

But there is one really important thing one must remember,for this product,or really any topical,it must be applied properly.

Our vet strongly recommended,we take our time in administering this topical.It must be completely administered down to the skin,and no hair in the way.With a longer haired dog,if it is not done correctly,you may possibly get a positive test result for heartworm.

He told Brian & I,in every case he had that came in his office,and requested another type of topical,it was a long haired dog,and probably did not admin properly.
He uses revolution on all of his dogs,both long & short haired,he has for years.We particularly like it as it is a combo topical,that does indeed work well.
 
Back
Top