Food concerns

I am looking for something to add to my pup's (6 month old) kibble to get her to eat. She does not seem to want to eat. I have tried pumpkin (did not like it). She will eat green beens (but getting sick of it).

Any other suggestions? Can I give her canned fruit? Applesauce? Did I hear garlic or NO GARLIC???


Also, we are taking lots of obiedence classes and she is getting the good stuff there (you know.. hot dogs, chicken, cheese...). So I am thinking this is probably why she turns her nose up at the kibble. Eventaully I would like her to go dry (helps clean teeth). However, when we have class I do not feed her that night since she is getting the good stuff, but even the next morning she won't eat. She is gaining weight but I do not plan on chicken everynight for dinner and hot dogs for breakfast forever! HELP!

Some people say no garlic, other say its ok. Even for people, garlic can be toxic if you eat too much (but for that to happen you'd have to eat a LOT), so if you want to try using it on your puppies food just try not to go overboard. In small quantities, garlic is good for dogs. Some dogs like it, others don't. My sheltie Sadie will eat ANYTHING if there's garlic on it. I'd suggest buying some garlic powder and putting a sprinkle on her food. Make sure you get garlic powder, NOT garlic salt. Dogs don't need the extra sodium.

If she ends up liking the garlic powder, you could use garlic coated kibble for training. Put the kibble garlic powder in a plastic bag and shake it to mix it. Voila, instant training treats! :winkgrin:

If you want to mix things up a bit, Sadie's trainer suggested doing the same thing with cheerios. :yes:
 
I would try mixing a little wet food with her kibble.

My puppy usually doesn't eat the recommended amount for wellness puppy kibble. So, for her lunch I mix a tablespoon of wellness wet food with her kibble. She loves it. She eats the whole thing and licks the bowl clean.
 
Another thing to remember about shelties is they do not require the same amount of food as other dogs their size and weight. Something about Shelties systems....they process their food more efficiently than other breeds, therefore using everything that is fed to them. This causes them to require a lot less in quantity than other breeds. Another reason to try and feed a higher quality of food.
 
Back
Top