Frontline Plus and Adams D-Limonene

Lysette85

Forums Enthusiast
Well, I KNEW I shouldn't have said anything about fleas or ticks. All of a sudden everyone in my house is a walking pepper shaker of flea dirt and fleas large enough to own property! I'm thinking the large sized doses of frontline I buy that last 5 months must expire after only a couple months. Does anyone know what the shelf life of Frontline Plus is AFTER it's been opened?

Also, I bought Adams D Limonene shampoo (they didn't have a pyrethin based on at Walmart)-anybody used this before? I'm planning on washing all 4 with it when I get home at 7am. I plan to leave it on them for 20 minutes. This is going to be a fun day!
 
I am consevative with flea tx, but have had good results. I use diatamacious earth (sp) on dog and cat. It keeps fleas controlled. I put it on animals and carpets-it will be dusty so wear amask or something over nose/mouth and keep out of pets nose/mouth. Also put under furniture cushions where pets may lay and keep pet beds vacumed or laundered. I mist Sally with ACV and H2o and a little Dawn detergent mixed in every 2 days or so when she heads outside. The cat,just DE bc they are a little more sensitive. Dog and cat get Brewers yeast/garlic tabs year round-fleas aren't supposed to like the way the skin smells/tastes when pets take this supplement. This is my own protocol and so far this works for us. No tx is 100% for every pet and family. Flea infestations as taught us by Dr. mac, are in the environments not just pets, so just treating pets won't guarantee you that your home won't be infested. My pets don't sleep in bed with us, so I don't have to worry about sleeping in fleas or ticks as much. There are many methods for flea control, but all should involve pets and house. Just removing fleas from pet will not rid your home and if you are seeing fleas on pet you have them in home. Don't panick, but be consistent with vacuming. You can try to lure fleas to a trap-check methods on net. I talk to clients everyday who are using flea preventitives and are still seeing pets with fleas. I don't know the reasons , just know it happens. So I will use my protocol cause it works for us. Hope this helps...
 
Oh, and be careful what you are bathing dogs in...just giving a bath will kill the fleas...make sure dogs are TOTALLY soaked, everywhere. Make sure to put a big foamy ring of your usual shampoo around the neck of dogs bc the fleas are going to travel up to the head cause it won't be as soaking wet. I plug up the ears really well and pour plain water over the head a couple of times to drown any fleas that could be there. Haven't seen fleas on Sally but have had fleas in years gone by and I just make this a habit when bathing Sally. Just remember that the house needs to be treated before bathing so the fleas don't get right back on the pet...I have also talked to several clients whose pets have had reactions to OTC flea treatments and combinations of differnt brands of tx.
 
Thank you for the advice! I have been vacuuming twice a day along with doing upholstery. What a chore! I started off with my cats this morning, then the dogs. I was just as soaked as they were! The only thing that sucks about long hair is the fleas didn't rinse out. They are dead as doorknobs but I know there are some stuck in the fur. A regular buttercomb won't get them out. My dogs are still itching but I see they are going after bites...just like we scratch mosquito bites. But the flea dirt is all gone now.

I read on the bottle to start with a ring of shampoo on the neck-such a good idea because the face is a delicate place to try to clean! Well, here's hoping we don't run into another infestation this year...thanks again for the advice!
 
Back
Top