furminators

Isn't that funny Barb, how people think our shelties shed so much. BTW, the number one shedding dog is the dalmation.

And that is no lie!
My ex-sister in law had one..my gosh you could not walk in her house,without gobs of that dogs hair sticking to every thing.Even if you were sock foot in the house,the bottoms of your socks had so much hair you could use them to dust mop the floors.

horrible,horrible shedders~
 
Isn't that funny Barb, how people think our shelties shed so much. BTW, the number one shedding dog is the dalmation.

So true! My guys don't shed! Sure, I'll get a strand or two on a black pair or pants, but not spread all over the house.

So why is it that some shed and some don't. And perhaps we should define "shedding"? Everything is relative! What seems extreme to one person, is nothing to another.

I can rub my hand down my pups coat, any time of year, and not have to shake the fur off my hand. I rub my hand down my parent's lab-mix anytime of year, and I will always have to shake off my hand. And heaven-forbid if I touch my face after touching him, I will have extreme allergic reaction. But not so, with the so-called heavy shedding Shelties.

That being said, my DH was allergic to Indy at first, but somehow he got over it. I think I was a little as well, looking back. I'm not sure what changed. Perhaps we just acclimatized to Indy. I can't say that it's because I over-groom because I do not.

p.s. I'm allergic to most cats, but I was not allergic to my own. Acclimitazation????? Does this mean that people who get rid of pets because their kids show signs of allergies should hold on? Interesting topic.

It's definitely a conundrum!
 
The worse shedding dog I ever lived with... A greyhound. Man did that dog leave hair everywhere. Next the Labs-OMG a sheltie blowing coat is nothing compared to a Lab. Then the Rottweiler, Chessie mix, my JRT mix, my shelties and last the poodles(who don't shed):lol:.

As far as the furminators, like missjennygirl, I've seen it damage the outercoat and there for don't care for them.

Funny story: Years before I had shelties, a lady came in with a sheltie and was concerned that the dog was loosing all its coat.
Lady "It wasn't like this when I got her last year when I got her".
Me "when was the last time you brushed her?"
Lady "Brush her, what do you mean brush her?"
Me "you know, brush her with a brush or a comb?" I walk to grooming drawer and get a pet rake and proceed to rake a sheltie mound of fur out of her in 15 seconds(dog looks 100x times better already)
Lady "I've never brushed since I got her"
Me " this is dead undercoat, you need to brush her to get it out. Its normal"
Lady" Oh ..pause Can I borrow that brush?"
Me "I need this brush but there is a pet store down the street where you can buy one." I go on to explain routine regular grooming.
Some people just don't know.:no:

BTW I'm allergic to cat dander. Yes a vet allergic to cats.:lol: Not cat fur or saliva. If a poorly groomed or old danduffy cat comes in, break out the benadryl. I groom my cat regularly and he gets a bath maybe every 6 months and I have no problem with him.(He is not allowed in my bedroom though or I wake up with a migrane). But, there is something about Burmese. Both myself and one of my techs reacted to everyone that came in. Good thing they are rare.:smile2:
 
Last edited:
Here's a funny one.
A man who had had shelties and border collies in the past, decided to get a sheltie puppy from me. He had recently married and his new wife had never, and I mean NEVER, been around dogs, much less have one. She was very hesitant to add this new member, but reads the books he gives her, and agrees she can just look at the puppies, but she doesn't want to feel pressured if it doesn't feel right to her. (she had never been married or had kids either). They come to see the puppies, and decide that yes, they would get a male when the time was right for the pups to go to their new homes.
Fast forward...The man trains the dog, big time, doing Excellent courses in agility and frisbee. His work has him traveling, so she has to take care of the dog when he is away. She calls him during a trip, hysterical because she found a large bump on his belly. The next morning, she skips work, and immediately rushes the dog to the vet. They plop the pup up on the exam table and she shows the vet the big bump.........It was a nipple! The vet then proceeded to show her ALL of them!
 
BTW I'm allergic to cat dander. Yes a vet allergic to cats.:lol: Not cat fur or saliva. If a poorly groomed or old danduffy cat comes in, break out the benadryl. I groom my cat regularly and he gets a bath maybe every 6 months and I have no problem with him.(He is not allowed in my bedroom though or I wake up with a migrane). But, there is something about Burmese. Both myself and one of my techs reacted to everyone that came in. Good thing they are rare.:smile2:

I had two cats that lived to 18 years. I got them both as kittens. I was not allergic to them, but put in front of another cat, and I would itch like no tomorrow!

And I was never allergic with Timber or Bacca, but slightly allergic to Indy who I got at 10 months. But I got over that after a couple of months.

So it does make me wonder: If you get the pet when they are young and before they start developing dander and shedding, etc., can you acclimatize to that pet?
 
Back
Top