Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Gavin has an external growth on his neck

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Darren

Darren Forums Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2019
    We'll be keeping you and Gavin in our thoughts here in Montyland, hoping the tests show nothing serious :hugs:hugs

KarenCurtis, Sharon7, Ann and 3 others like this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Hoping and Praying it is nothing serious for your boy....

Sharon7, Ann, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh Cindy, how my heart goes out to you. I hope and pray that you can have it removed and just allow Gavin a restful two years! I don’t know what it is about seniors... but the older they get the more we love them! Gavin is certainly no exception! I know Ann did have it removed. I know she will respond with the details! I know putting an elderly dog under anesthesia is nerve racking. Stay strong for Gavin!!
    We are ALL pulling for you both! Virtual hugs to you! Keep us posted!

Sharon7, Ann, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I am sorry, I know you have experience with this but I do hope you're wrong.

When Tully had her surgery a couple of weeks ago I was really worried, already not well, old with severe IBD and a long surgery. But I think she's cut from the same tough cloth as Gavin.

Will be thinking of you both

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Actually, no. My vet drained and cleaned it out. It came back twice and we decided if it happened again we'd have it removed. This was in the middle of her mast cell, gallbladder and spindle cell removal surgeries which all happened in the same year and we wanted to avoid putting her under again if we could. After my vet worked on it the last time it never came back. It was a bit smaller though, about the size of a nickel.

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I think we are gonna have to remove it. its too big and its right where the collar sits. I can't see it not being a constant problem to keep Gavin from itching it. It looks pretty raw and oozy right now. I am wrapping it and cleaning it twice a day for 2 weeks until next appt. he is on clavamox for 10 days.

RikyR, KarenCurtis, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  7. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Cindy, are you able to just keep his collar off for now so that it doesn't rub and irritate that area? I am so sorry you are going through this and am really praying for a good outcome for your special boy Gavin.
    Trini

Piper's mom, Ann and Sandy in CT like this.
  8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    I will have to post a picture tonite. Gavin is getting a bandage change every 12 hours. His tumor gets gauze and then his neck is wrapped with vet tape. today its purple, yesterday it was pink.
    The collar was taken off as soon as I found the situation. I think he needs a new one anyone as his old one is kinda gross right now.

trini, ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Just wondering is it possible that it’s a hot spot? I know they can be pretty nasty looking and appear out of nowhere. My previous Cocker had one where her collar sat.

10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    take a look at the pic..its a very definite tumor