Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Gavin's radiation treatment

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Cindy, Dec 1, 2015.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Poor Gavin... it does still look a bit painful! Can you put a little baby sock on it when you go for your hikes? Not sure if that would cause further irritation.
    Congrats on a 7-mile hike! WOW, I could not do that!
    Hope you can find some food to help him gain weight. Can you feed him more often?

Please keep us posted on progress!

2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    He doesn't seem to pay that paw any mind. It just looks bad! And the hairy toes with a naked paw just looks all funny :)
    I do still put lotion on when it appears dried out.

I am hesitant to overfeed him. And he is holding steady weight wise. I just keep expecting him to need less food as his activity levels go down. I mean, everything you read is about dogs getting obese and senior dogs needing less food. Not here!

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    He foot doesn't look too bad! My dog is struggling with fur growth right now. It can take a long time, so be patient.

4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    updating pictures...apparently the links don't work since I organized things..
    <https://clkreder.shutterfly.com/3264>

We had our vet checkup..its been 7 months.
    They don'd doX-Rays or ultrasounds, just plapate.
    He has a teeney tiny bump on his head that is too small to aspirate I get to watch.

5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    So we have been trying the new vibrant pet's optimal health supplement the past few months. Sadly, no amazing hair growth on the paw, although that is asking a lot. It is still half naked, and very vulnerable to scrapes. All last week Gavin was limping as he had somehow torn off the inner side of one of his pads. Sigh....I just wish it wasn't soo exposed. I can try and use booties for hiking (Gavin has never been a fan), although we don't go anywhere that exciting. But the beach is another story.

OK..looked back through my pictures of his radiation journey... OMG my poor baby!!!! He must have been in terrible pain :(

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016