I wondered about the timetable for full coats also, having read about the 2-3 years it might take. Blithe is just going on 1 year and he really seems to have a full coat. If not, I'm not sure how he could get more hair!
I also do not have a grooming table. My master bath has two sinks and I put a non-slip bathroom rug between the two and he will stand there nicely and let me handle his ears, feets, etc., thanks to the breeder who had the first four months of his life to work with him. (Thank you!) He will occasionally want to sit down, but I put an arm under his belly and he gets the hint.
This is my first Sheltie, so I had to learn all the grooming techniques and he is very tolerant of the scissors and shaver, so I would definitely start early in getting your pup used to be handled, and the use and sound of various implements if you intend to groom yourself.
Blithe did not bark at all when I first got him. When we went to obedience school he found his voice as he just had to tell all those other dogs he was there! He is a stubborn boy, and will often stand and stare me down and bark continuously, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what he wants. I haven't yet conquered that problem barking. I thought a squirt of water in the face might help, but I've found he thinks that just a fun game.
Others remark of how their pups are cuddlers. Blithe never was and probably won't be. Too bad; I'd really like that. I've never put him on my bed as I toss around quite a bit. He sleeps in his crate and is very happy there, although he does wake me up earlier than I'd like.
I believe that each dog is so different from the other, but from what I've seen of the breed after having my first one for almost a year now, they're really sweet, but can be stubborn; can be quiet, but can let loose with the best of them; loves exercise, but can be a couch potato. So it's toss up what you'll get. Nevertheless, I'm sure whichever type you end up with he/she will soon work it's way into your heart. How you treat and shape it's behavior will probably make all the difference. Good luck.