General question of coat

we haven’t weighed him but he was 31 pounds.

This is my favorite part of his coat...his back..love the colors and the waves lol.
I usually see it when he is asking hubby if it’s time for his walk yet. :)

View media item 7207

His coat is beautiful, they the colors and patterns combine is perfect!
I thought my Harley was a large Sheltie and he was 28lbs lol. I'll stick with little Montys 11lbs, much easier to carry arround :lol:
 
His coat is beautiful, they the colors and patterns combine is perfect!
I thought my Harley was a large Sheltie and he was 28lbs lol. I'll stick with little Montys 11lbs, much easier to carry arround :lol:


We knew he would be big...he was oversize as a pup which is why he was up as pet not for show and she did say he could get UP to 30 pounds and I think we were thinking well maybe 20? lol. All along I have told him his back can’t reach my knee and it doesn’t...what a good boy! We used to own 2 Great Pyrenees (our neighbors called them the ponies), but we were just a bit younger then. I keep thinking I would like another, but realistically I know it would be difficult for me to walk 2 so he is just a spoiled boy very loved. And yes Darren I would love Monty’s size...he is lighter than my Shih Tzu was. :)
 
My Cody was 42 pounds in his prime (he's 15 now and a little thinner) and he was not overweight, just a big, beautiful boy! But I have decided any future shelties will have to be small like my Jesse (15 pounds). So much easier to bath, groom, and walk. Dealing with a large dog that can no longer go up and down any steps and has occasional accidents is not easy.
 
My Cody was 42 pounds in his prime (he's 15 now and a little thinner) and he was not overweight, just a big, beautiful boy! But I have decided any future shelties will have to be small like my Jesse (15 pounds). So much easier to bath, groom, and walk. Dealing with a large dog that can no longer go up and down any steps and has occasional accidents is not easy.
Wow, 42 pounds is a lot to lift! My old boy Riley who passed last year was 38 pounds at his heaviest and was never fat. They're definitely too much to carry at that weight! Even with my two boys Piper (20 pounds) and Finnie (27 pounds) I notice such a difference picking them up. Piper is a breeze, Finnie is hard...he's long and that extra length makes him seem really awkward. I much prefer Piper's size!
 
Our Bandit was 35 pounds and oversize too. He had Lyme which made him very arthritic as he got older and even though I was younger then, hard to carry. He's the reason I bought my first sling to help get him up and down stairs. I don't know how people manage with really big dogs. My son wants a Bernese Mountain Dog...I hope he never has to carry it! :eek2:
 
Our Bandit was 35 pounds and oversize too. He had Lyme which made him very arthritic as he got older and even though I was younger then, hard to carry. He's the reason I bought my first sling to help get him up and down stairs. I don't know how people manage with really big dogs. My son wants a Bernese Mountain Dog...I hope he never has to carry it! :eek2:


This is my concern. My sister’s Border Collie went down, her hubby was at work 45 min. away and her Vet didn’t do house calls. I am lucky right now as hubby does the heavy lifting on to the grooming table etc. our first Sheltie weighed about 16 pounds and was very manageable! oh well, you can make them thinner, but not smaller!! LOL.
 
My Cody was 42 pounds in his prime (he's 15 now and a little thinner) and he was not overweight, just a big, beautiful boy! But I have decided any future shelties will have to be small like my Jesse (15 pounds). So much easier to bath, groom, and walk. Dealing with a large dog that can no longer go up and down any steps and has occasional accidents is not easy.
that's actually why I moved to shelties:yes:
my first dog was a basset mix and he was 50 lb and low to the ground- although not as low as a full basset. when he got sick and I had to carry him to the car- well, my idea of having a collie some day went away......
so when I got a dog after Danny, I only looked at 30 lb or less and got Happy the beagle boy. he needed a friend and I ran into a lady with shelties and remembered seeing them in the class after Danny's obedience class so I got Callie and you know what happened after that:winkgrin:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ann
Back
Top