Genetic testing kits

I did the MDR1 testing with Emma, just because of her reactions to a drug. VWD is also another important genetic testing to consider, just to know if your puppy ever needed surgery or was hurt.
 
I have a friend who did the DNA test through Petsmart. She said it was only $60. All she had to do was a cheek swab, and it was back in 2 weeks. I don't know any other details, but I'm sure if you contacted the store they could help you.
 
I always wanted to sent in one my known purebred shelties and see if thats what they came up as. Since other breeds went into the development of the sheltie breed what would stop it from coming back Collie, BC, Pom ,Spaniel mix or something like that. I asked the Wisdom panel rep this and he told me that they couldn't not a purebred was a purebred with their test.

It like its kind of a neat idea for mix breeds.
 
I always wanted to sent in one my known purebred shelties and see if thats what they came up as. Since other breeds went into the development of the sheltie breed what would stop it from coming back Collie, BC, Pom ,Spaniel mix or something like that. I asked the Wisdom panel rep this and he told me that they couldn't not a purebred was a purebred with their test.

It like its kind of a neat idea for mix breeds.

Ohhh Good point! Never thought of that, like how far back does the lineage go for the test? As we all know they were still breeding collies in with Shelties in the 30s. So would a pure breed Sheltie pop up with Collie? Especially since there are still litters popping out huge collie size shelties!
 
I always wanted to sent in one my known purebred shelties and see if thats what they came up as. Since other breeds went into the development of the sheltie breed what would stop it from coming back Collie, BC, Pom ,Spaniel mix or something like that. I asked the Wisdom panel rep this and he told me that they couldn't not a purebred was a purebred with their test.

It like its kind of a neat idea for mix breeds.

Yeah, I would have loved to do that too, especially with Ginny who is so small and fuzzy that she resembles a Pom.
 
I always wanted to sent in one my known purebred shelties and see if thats what they came up as. Since other breeds went into the development of the sheltie breed what would stop it from coming back Collie, BC, Pom ,Spaniel mix or something like that. I asked the Wisdom panel rep this and he told me that they couldn't not a purebred was a purebred with their test.

It like its kind of a neat idea for mix breeds.

That would definitely be cool! It is affordable enough now....that it could be a neat thing to try.
 
Back
Top