Getting started in agility

My daughter competed in an Agility venue called DOCNA a few years back. Dogs on course in North America. It was a great venue for her, as it wasn't very competitive and had a more laid back feel to it then AKC. Our first trial was out in PA, maybe near where you are. The trial was put on by a training club called 3D Dog Training. The people from this club were very nice, and they seemed to be very professional. I liked how the dogs that belonged to this club worked. It was based somewhere in the Lehigh Valley. Not sure if it is worth a try, but maybe google them and see if they are located close enough to you.
 
My daughter competed in an Agility venue called DOCNA a few years back. Dogs on course in North America. It was a great venue for her, as it wasn't very competitive and had a more laid back feel to it then AKC. Our first trial was out in PA, maybe near where you are. The trial was put on by a training club called 3D Dog Training. The people from this club were very nice, and they seemed to be very professional. I liked how the dogs that belonged to this club worked. It was based somewhere in the Lehigh Valley. Not sure if it is worth a try, but maybe google them and see if they are located close enough to you.

Thanks! I'll check it out. :yes:
 
We were all beginners at one time so don't worry about being inexperienced. That's why we recommend taking classes. :yes:

To see a list of trials already scheduled for PA and NJ try this website: http://www.agilityevents.net/index.php?page=Events. It may help you find something relatively close to you. The venues you want to include in your search are AKC, CPE, NADAC, and USDAA. Each venue has its own pros and cons but they all advocate having fun with your dog.




.
Can anyone tell me about USDAA AND AKC? Im planning to compete in CPE and though to think about other, more frequent, venues.
 
Can anyone tell me about USDAA AND AKC? Im planning to compete in CPE and though to think about other, more frequent, venues.

I can tell you about USDAA--it's all I've done. Our club only puts on USDAA trials (we're small, so it would be too hard to manage many more, I think).

Here are my impressions of it (and keep in mind that I can only compare it to what I've been told by people that compete in many different venues).

- USDAA is more laid back than AKC. They don't have really strict rules about leashes, coming in and out of the field, etc...
- USDAA is one of the most competitive venues. That doesn't mean that they don't have great opportunities to start (starters is a blast), but you'll also see some of the best Masters dogs, which is fun to watch.
- USDAA courses are more spread out than AKC. AKC seems to focus on tight turns. USDAA focuses more on speed (you'll find that course times are faster, in general).

I can also tell you a little about what you can and can't do in Starters in order to qualify:

-You must run clean to qualify, BUT
- Refusals are NOT counted, so your dog can have 100 of them and still Q
- Knocked bars, off courses, and missed contacts are all considered faults

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

I was new to agility about 2 years ago and started with USDAA. I absolutely love it. In fact, I love it so much that I am hesitant to try anything else!
 
-You must run clean to qualify, BUT
- Refusals are NOT counted, so your dog can have 100 of them and still Q
- Knocked bars, off courses, and missed contacts are all considered faults

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

I was new to agility about 2 years ago and started with USDAA. I absolutely love it. In fact, I love it so much that I am hesitant to try anything else!

Thanks for the great info! I needed to do research on the two because (according to agilityevents.net) in total, no way are we EVER going to this many, 14 CPE, 26 USDAA, and 10 AKC in a year. I know we are still very very VERY green, but I'm wanting to figure out venues to eventually compete in. :biggrin2:



Oh, and could you tell me about Steeplechase? I know Susan Garrett won..I think? But I have no clue what it is except for something about doing obstacles twice....??? Also, are there any 'non-traditional' obstacles used? (broad jump, triple, sway bridge, etc) Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Can anyone tell me about USDAA AND AKC? Im planning to compete in CPE and though to think about other, more frequent, venues.

Ashley gave you great info about USDAA but there's one important thing to note and that is the jump height differences. It's what kept me from doing USDAA with my first dog. He stood at 16.25" and because of that he would've had to jump 22" instead of 16" so how tall your dog officially measures out can mean a lot in your decision about which venues you'd like to try. That being said they now have a Performance division where you can jump a height lower. I don't think they had then when I started competing 10 years ago. Still, it can have some weight on your decision if you want to go further in competing down the line.
 
I competed in one USDAA trial (and only one day, lol), so this isn't an expert opinion by any means. I agree with everything Ashley said. They are very lax about dogs on leashes, so lax, I was absolutely shocked. But then again, this is coming from a person who started in NADAC and they are very strict about leashes due to a very bad incident.

USDAA was very fun, very laid back atmosphere. The judge played music through the speaker box while we were walking the course or waiting for them to rebuild it. They have a lot of different games and tend to run about 3-5 runs per day (I think it's usually on the 5 side) of a trial. Ortegah was right about the jump heights. And when you do jump Performance, there's a few things I dislike about it, but I understand the reasoning for it. The A-frame is lower, they are no broad jumps and triples? Or something like that. They make it easier on the dogs to jump/climb, which is nice. Also, you don't get to do all the Championship games either. Performance has their own set. It just depends on what you want to do with it.

My dog is 17.5", he has to jump 22" in Championship in USDAA. I refuse to abuse his body like that, so I jump 16" in Performance. A woman who I train with, her dog jumps 8 and 12 in other venues, but 16 in Championship. Her dog is a Cavalier. I personally don't agree with her choice, but it's her dog.

Comparing that to AKC. AKC is a lot more "by the book". Their courses are tighter than USDAA, but this would depend on your dogs jumping style. Again, a woman I train with, her dog has a very long jump, she'll only run her dog in NADAC (which is even more open/flowy than USDAA). Another has a lot of issues in AKC because her dog jumps somewhat long even though her dog is small. AKC also runs 2 runs a day typically. They may add FAST or Time2Beat, but typically, you run Standard and JWW and that's it. The upside of that is your days are a lot shorter!

I started in NADAC. It's very different than most of the venues in that they don't use a lot of the equipment. IMHO, in order of fun, easy to get going, and payback rate (ease of Q'ing in the beginning) I'd rate them in this order: CPE, NADAC, USDAA, AKC (I haven't run anything else, so this is all I know). I probably wouldn't run my dog in AKC until it knows all the equipment very well. Koji was slow on contacts so we didn't start AKC until almost 9 months after trialing and at that, he sucked. lol. But, I'm also glad we didn't start AKC until later when he was also a lot more experienced.

Disclaimer: I haven't run the higher levels of CPE and USDAA so I'm not sure how those courses are. I'm just commenting on the lower levels of them all.

Last but not least.....money. CPE, NADAC, and USDAA run about 5 runs a day. Money can add up fast. BUT, at least their runs are $10-15 each. AKC runs about $20-25 for your first run of the day and $15-20 for any others that day. I started doing more AKC because although the runs are more expensive per run, by day, it's cheaper. I was spending about $120 for a weekend at NADAC. An upcoming USDAA in my area is about the same. Ditto with CPE. I believe all 3 venues give discounts if you run everything. In AKC, I will only get 4 runs but for a weekend, I'll pay about $90 on the high end. Less runs, but for me, cheaper. And the venue is closer than all the rest.

I would suggest, start in one. You said you're going to start in CPE. And after you run that for a few months, just try out another venue in your area. See how you like it. I've tried 4 venues and I like them all for different reasons. I chose to concentrate on one venue because I can't afford to play in them all. lol. If I had my choice and they weren't all so far, I'd do them all.

When you decide on a goal, then you can go forth in a specific venue. i.e. I know I will have a hard time getting the higher titles in CPE, NADAC, and USDAA due to working distance with my dog. So, I took the "easy" way out and decided to pursue a MACH in AKC. Can I do it? I think we can, but it could take awhile. So, I'm focusing on AKC (and I admit, I want that title with Koji's pedigree). But we are "playing" in other venue's too because I know Koji loves NADAC for their very spread out courses (he gets to run full out while I am huffing and puffing behind him trying to keep up).

Well, that was lengthy, lol. sorry.
 
Getting Started

I competed in one USDAA trial (and only one day, lol), so this isn't an expert opinion by any means. I agree with everything Ashley said. They are very lax about dogs on leashes, so lax, I was absolutely shocked. But then again, this is coming from a person who started in NADAC and they are very strict about leashes due to a very bad incident.

USDAA was very fun, very laid back atmosphere. The judge played music through the speaker box while we were walking the course or waiting for them to rebuild it. They have a lot of different games and tend to run about 3-5 runs per day (I think it's usually on the 5 side) of a trial. Ortegah was right about the jump heights. And when you do jump Performance, there's a few things I dislike about it, but I understand the reasoning for it. The A-frame is lower, they are no broad jumps and triples? Or something like that. They make it easier on the dogs to jump/climb, which is nice. Also, you don't get to do all the Championship games either. Performance has their own set. It just depends on what you want to do with it.

My dog is 17.5", he has to jump 22" in Championship in USDAA. I refuse to abuse his body like that, so I jump 16" in Performance. A woman who I train with, her dog jumps 8 and 12 in other venues, but 16 in Championship. Her dog is a Cavalier. I personally don't agree with her choice, but it's her dog.

Comparing that to AKC. AKC is a lot more "by the book". Their courses are tighter than USDAA, but this would depend on your dogs jumping style. Again, a woman I train with, her dog has a very long jump, she'll only run her dog in NADAC (which is even more open/flowy than USDAA). Another has a lot of issues in AKC because her dog jumps somewhat long even though her dog is small. AKC also runs 2 runs a day typically. They may add FAST or Time2Beat, but typically, you run Standard and JWW and that's it. The upside of that is your days are a lot shorter!

I started in NADAC. It's very different than most of the venues in that they don't use a lot of the equipment. IMHO, in order of fun, easy to get going, and payback rate (ease of Q'ing in the beginning) I'd rate them in this order: CPE, NADAC, USDAA, AKC (I haven't run anything else, so this is all I know). I probably wouldn't run my dog in AKC until it knows all the equipment very well. Koji was slow on contacts so we didn't start AKC until almost 9 months after trialing and at that, he sucked. lol. But, I'm also glad we didn't start AKC until later when he was also a lot more experienced.

Disclaimer: I haven't run the higher levels of CPE and USDAA so I'm not sure how those courses are. I'm just commenting on the lower levels of them all.

Last but not least.....money. CPE, NADAC, and USDAA run about 5 runs a day. Money can add up fast. BUT, at least their runs are $10-15 each. AKC runs about $20-25 for your first run of the day and $15-20 for any others that day. I started doing more AKC because although the runs are more expensive per run, by day, it's cheaper. I was spending about $120 for a weekend at NADAC. An upcoming USDAA in my area is about the same. Ditto with CPE. I believe all 3 venues give discounts if you run everything. In AKC, I will only get 4 runs but for a weekend, I'll pay about $90 on the high end. Less runs, but for me, cheaper. And the venue is closer than all the rest.

I would suggest, start in one. You said you're going to start in CPE. And after you run that for a few months, just try out another venue in your area. See how you like it. I've tried 4 venues and I like them all for different reasons. I chose to concentrate on one venue because I can't afford to play in them all. lol. If I had my choice and they weren't all so far, I'd do them all.

When you decide on a goal, then you can go forth in a specific venue. i.e. I know I will have a hard time getting the higher titles in CPE, NADAC, and USDAA due to working distance with my dog. So, I took the "easy" way out and decided to pursue a MACH in AKC. Can I do it? I think we can, but it could take awhile. So, I'm focusing on AKC (and I admit, I want that title with Koji's pedigree). But we are "playing" in other venue's too because I know Koji loves NADAC for their very spread out courses (he gets to run full out while I am huffing and puffing behind him trying to keep up).

Well, that was lengthy, lol. sorry.

Very well said Cheryl.I think you could get a C-ATCH in CPE.It is a very easy venue to compete in and Q in.Nellie you have a young dog so dont rush her.All the venues are good except I would not show your dog in TDAA otherwise you are going to be yanking a very fast dog around tight courses, plus if you are training on full height equipment I would not want to put my dog on something that small.
 
Back
Top