Good-ish update on my Katy!

Update: I found chicken livers (fresh, not frozen), so for her dinner tonight I boiled 1/2 cup of white rice, 2 chicken tenderloins, and half of a liver. Boiled all together, so the rice would hopefully absorb whatever iron was cooked out of the liver.

1. She ate it with gusto, no problem there at all!

2. She seemed pretty good throughout the evening, asking for treats and having a regular play session at 10pm

3. Shortly after that, she got REAL farty :-O She hasn't had that problem in a week or so! But it could have been the quantity of liver (I was warned that too much could upset her tummy) or possibly the egg yolk with her breakfast.

4. She had no interest in her midnight play session.

5. I don't think she's had a bowel movement since just after breakfast, so that's a concern. Lately, no after dinner BM means that she'll wake me up in the middle of the night with diarrhea.

Right now (a little after 1am) she's napping under my desk, happily farting up the office...
 
I have a similar problem with getting pills into Lacey, who's in early stage kidney failure and on lots of meds. When the pill pockets, peanut butter, yogurt, cheese and baby food (last resort that always works) stopped working even on the chewables, I got a large pill crusher. I crush her pills and put the powder in freeze-dried food I rehydrate for her dinner. It's Grandma Lucy's Artisian on Chewy. It's the only way I've been able to get her meds into her. It's not kidney food, but my vet OKed it.

My biggest problem is her Denamarin for the liver. It's supposed to be given on an empty stomach and I've tried both the chewables and the regular pills and there is no way she'll eat it in any form. I've had to resort to crushing it and adding it with the others to her freeze-dried dinner and hope she gets enough benefit from it.

It's a challenge, I sympathize!
 
Poor Katy had straight diarrhea before bed last night :-( That was the first time she's had diarrhea since reducing her Prednisone, so maybe it was just upset stomach from the liver? This morning she had more of a peanut buttery BM; better than pure water, but still not solid. I'm sure that the mucus and moisture is a sign of GI inflammation.

Breakfast was a little bit of a challenge, too. I boiled chicken tenderloins, liver, and rice. She dug out the chicken, ate most of the liver by accident, and left 75% of the rice :-/

@Ann , I hate to hear that Lacey is in early stage kidney failure :-( I certainly know the emotional roller coaster that you're on! When my Chihuahua (Pepper) was refusing medicine, I crushed it in baby food and then used a syringe to squirt it in the back of her mouth. That worked great, but it was a 2-person job: my girlfriend would hold her while I squirted, or vice versa.

Katy's giving me the same problem with her Denamarin, but so far I've been able to wrap it in half of a pill pocket and she'll get it down.
 
Pills what a nightmare. I 've learned to force their mouth open and place the pill in the back of their throat like the vets do - it worked on most of my dogs but I have a girl now that will not swallow the pill no matter what- she is a stubborn cuss-- I have tried wrapping it in bacon (she quickly separates the bacon for the pill), butter on the pill, peanut butter etc etc etc.. Good luck may the force be with you...
 
This morning was fun. I got her to take her Keppra by holding a Full Moon Chicken Strip (her favorite treat) sort of high and just a few inches out of reach, so she had to look up and open her mouth to get it. As soon as she opened her mouth I shoved the pill back in her throat quickly from the side, while putting the chicken strip in the front of her mouth.

I almost lost a finger, but it worked! LOL
 
Nice effort.. dogs will open their mouth if you put your fingers on their incisors and pry their mouth open while holding their mouth gently squeezing the upper jaw along the teeth line- pill in the back of the throat and then let them close up and stroke gently their throat-- and then if the stars are aligned and Jupiter is in Aquarius they will swallow the pill.
 
Nice effort.. dogs will open their mouth if you put your fingers on their incisors and pry their mouth open while holding their mouth gently squeezing the upper jaw along the teeth line- pill in the back of the throat and then let them close up and stroke gently their throat-- and then if the stars are aligned and Jupiter is in Aquarius they will swallow the pill.

Not if your name is Lacey. She can spit out a pill even if I drop it into her tonsils.

I finally resorted to wrapping the dang pill in a slice of ham and sealed it and she actually managed to extract said pill from the ham and I don't need to tell you what she ate!!! :gaah
 
Back
Top