Greasy Fur Because of Medication

take4roll10

Moderator
Bailey has a minor ear infection. The vet prescribed a once a day ointment, but it is making the fur around her ear very greasy. The greasy buildup is so bad that it looks like her fur is wet.

If her ear looks good, Friday will be the last day of her medication. I've just been using a tissue to wipe off the excess grease, but it doesn't make a difference.

Any suggestions on what I can use to remove the greasy medication from her fur without irritating her ear?
 
Have you tried talcum powder? You can sprinkle it on, rub it in, and brush it out - it should help draw away some of the grease.
 
Two things to try. First - a little corn starch rubbed in and then let dry. Brush out.

Or you can try unscented baby wipes or a cloth with a vinegar/water solution.
Neither will completely take it away but will help with not accumulating a bunch of dirt there.

Think it's bad looking on a sheltie - try a white westie. You end up with this blackened area all around the bulb of the ear and the face furnishings directly adjacent.
 
I don't have any talcum powder, but I'm sure I can pick some up.

I do have baby powder. Will that work?

Sure! Some baby powders are talc, and some are constarch, and some are a mix of the two, but as Tagg says above, cornstarch will work, too. :) The baby powder will make her smell yummy, too!
 
JUst so you know the reason I don't use baby powder is because it is usually scented and can be an irritant. It also will attrach insects. Just a head's up.
 
JUst so you know the reason I don't use baby powder is because it is usually scented and can be an irritant. It also will attrach insects. Just a head's up.

Interesting. The one I have is scented...Ok, maybe I'll look for corn starch or talcum powder
 
Too bad I can't spell eh?? attract - not attrach! I use cornstarch for lots of other things as well and it's cheap. Like this morning, Tinsel decided to pee on Phoebe's poop. Missed it and hit her. I washed the area as well as I could without going with soaking her down and shampoo but we have 3 small yellow stains on her coat that was just bathed a week ago. So, will wet the area, put on some corn starch, let it dry and then brush it out. I can guarantee that Phoebe will prefer that to another trip to the tub before her 3 weeks are done.
 
I've never had a problem with baby powder but this could be unique to some dogs. I love the smell myself! I would sprinkle then alll over with it, if I thought it was good!
 
Back
Top