grooming shelties

I couldn't agree with you more, cody6. As dog owners, basic grooming is skills we should master. Otherwise, it will take you excessive money and time to visit groomers. Therefore, when i need some advice on pet grooming, i will turn to the google engine. There are enormous articles and videos about grooming dogs.
 
IMHO, there are many people who are afraid of grooming. And by that, I mean all parts. My hubby is one of them. There is no way in heck that he'd ever ever cut their nails. It took him over a few years to even brush the dogs and even at that, he just brushes the outer coat. He doesn't brush teeth and forget clipping them. Bathing them? Forget it. He only does it IF the dog poop on himself and his fur is all yucky. He's the type who'd take the dog to a GOOD groomer.

However, for myself. I brush my dogs thoroughly probably 6x a year. They get bathed twice a year (more if necessary). I do a quick brush through maybe once a month. I clip Miko's nails every other week. I clip Koji's once a week because of his agility training. I hate when all I hear is nails on the equipment. I also clip their hair when I feel like it.

And personally, they are not suffering. Shelties don't need to be brushed once a day. I have utterly slacked on Miko's coat over the years due to working FT and going to school FT and having no money, etc, etc, etc....and he's fine. I chose not to take him to a groomers since I only heard bad things, and I figured he was so calm I could do it myself. Yes, I have chopped his hair badly at times, and he still loves me and puts up with it.

I think a person should care for their dog. Be reasonable. If the dog comes inside, maybe wipe off it's muddy paws, or shoot them down with water. If the dog is overly dirty, wash it. Brush them or at least keep an eye on knots (that's what I do when I get lazy). I'm not perfect and don't pretend that I'm not lazy when it comes to grooming my dogs. It takes every ounce I have to brush my own teeth.....imagine me brushing theirs. Thank gawd for chews.

Lastly, Shelties don't need to live in the Shetland climate. And if they do, isn't that a lot higher than anything in the US? I live in SoCal. It can get hot here. No biggie. Besides, my boys seem to love to sunbathe. And that can get extremely hot. They're made for that too. Their coat protects them from the heat and the cold. As long as they're not shaved.

Sigh. People do what they want. They dye poodles pink, shave chow's, give funny haircuts to any dog. People paint their dogs toenails, dress them up in interesting outfits. What can we do about it? I figure, as long as the dog is well-cared for and loved, who cares if it's shaved? I'd just chalk shaving to cool a dog down ignorance. Most people think they're hot. But their coat is what protects them from the sun/heat.

Just my two cents. I'll get off my soapbox now.
 
Well said, Cheryl!! Like the Shetland Island shepherds did a whole lotta grooming. :rolleyes2: I love brushing the furkids, but I work full time and have four of 'em. They get super-done every couple of months, but otherwise, it's a quick fluff-n-brush.
 
We spent the last couple of weeks visiting my mum interstate and came across a lot of shelties - almost all were not as well groomed as mine (2 were on their way for their summer groom). The others were noticeably still full of undercoat, whereas I have been keeping on top of getting undercoat out. I can tell you the other dogs all looked pretty miserable in the heat - mine didnt.

In hot summers its a real must to keep on top of brushing - it makes a huge difference to keeping them cool and happy. Its been 35C+ (95F) most days and I think its just cruel letting a dog carry that much coat in the heat. It protects them from the sun (like a fur coat would) but not from the heat. Stripping undercoat means they carry less fur and the heat is less likely to get trapped, esp if there is a breeze which can lift/rustle the outer coat.

In winter its not as bad not brushing much - it keeps them warm after all.

The Shetlands dont have the same summers - its pretty cool there and they get lovely sea breezes across most of the islands (I often wonder if any little shelties got blown away with the strong sea breezes). Atho whats the bet a farmer would just shear the dog along with the sheep - they do it here with working Border Collies.
 
In hot summers its a real must to keep on top of brushing - it makes a huge difference to keeping them cool and happy. Its been 35C+ (95F) most days and I think its just cruel letting a dog carry that much coat in the heat. It protects them from the sun (like a fur coat would) but not from the heat. Stripping undercoat means they carry less fur and the heat is less likely to get trapped, esp if there is a breeze which can lift/rustle the outer coat.

Good point about taking out the undercoat during summer (or when it's hot). That's why I do the two baths a year. The first bath is usually around March. It helps them blow out their winter coat. The second bath is at about Sept/Oct. That way, they can blow what is needed, and keep the rest for winter.
 
I don't groom every day. Who in the world has time to groom once a day?! :uhoh: I brush twice a week for Smudge, and once a week for Fluffy since her fur isn't that thick yet. I try trimming nails, but I stink at it. I'm not giving up though.

I'll let somebody else handle the fur trimming until I can understand how to do it right. Me + sharp objects = danger. :eek2: Smudge has slacked off on baths, because it was making his skin itchy. So he only gets those every once in a while when he goes to the groomer.

Fluffy got a bath the first day home, but I'm in no rush to give her another one. I did order the black on black and white on white shampoo though.

My next grooming purchase is going to be a Dremmel. :biggrin2:
 
I brush Bailey every night. Just a quick 5 minute brush. I also just started brushing her teeth every night. It seems to be going well. She loves the tooth paste.
I've given her 3 baths and I've had her for a little over 4 months. So she gets a bath about every 5-6 weeks. I don't give baths as much in the winter, because then I have to blow dry her hair. In the summer, I can just let her air dry.
As far as grooming, I'll trim the fur on her paws myself. When she gets her full coat, I'll bring her to a groomer. My vet has been cutting her nails and shaving her poop chute for free :)
 
I leave the bathing to the groomer about every 3 months or so (when I need a haircut, I know it's time for the boys too!) I'm not letting them trim anything but paws going forward. They did an ok job on Indy last time, but Bacca looked like a stray when I brought him back! They trimmed his freakin' ruff!

I brush weekly. Sometimes its a quick go over and other times, its the full meal deal - a good hour per pup. I tend to groom in the summer more, to remove the undercoat from Indy's big butt.

Nails are done weekly or minimum bi-weekly with a dremmel. Now that I've gotten the hang of it, I'm able to file the nails down pretty fine.

Great video to purchase from Silver Trail Shelties. It was about $25 and worth every penny. I think they have a few clips on Youtube, but go for the real deal.
 
I leave the bathing to the groomer about every 3 months or so (when I need a haircut, I know it's time for the boys too!) I'm not letting them trim anything but paws going forward. They did an ok job on Indy last time, but Bacca looked like a stray when I brought him back! They trimmed his freakin' ruff!

I brush weekly. Sometimes its a quick go over and other times, its the full meal deal - a good hour per pup. I tend to groom in the summer more, to remove the undercoat from Indy's big butt.

Nails are done weekly or minimum bi-weekly with a dremmel. Now that I've gotten the hang of it, I'm able to file the nails down pretty fine.

Great video to purchase from Silver Trail Shelties. It was about $25 and worth every penny. I think they have a few clips on Youtube, but go for the real deal.

What's with groomers trimming ruffs. First poor Deska and now Bacca. I don't get it.:rolleyes2:

I have about the same grooming schedule as you. Weekly brushing, weekly or biweekly nails . I trim as needed ears and feet.(except Diva who I'm not allowed to set scissors to). Its not my favorite so sometimes they look alittle wooly. But I hate hair feet so if they start looking like persian slippers I need to do it. Unfortunately, Embers feet get shaggy so fast I need to trim every 2-3 weeks.
 
What's with groomers trimming ruffs. First poor Deska and now Bacca. I don't get it.:rolleyes2:

I have about the same grooming schedule as you. Weekly brushing, weekly or biweekly nails . I trim as needed ears and feet.(except Diva who I'm not allowed to set scissors to). Its not my favorite so sometimes they look alittle wooly. But I hate hair feet so if they start looking like persian slippers I need to do it. Unfortunately, Embers feet get shaggy so fast I need to trim every 2-3 weeks.

Oh, I've got a ear and foot fetish too! If I do nothing else, it would be to trim their feet and ears! I do a pretty good job on the feet now. The ears need work. Indy's are pretty easy (I follow Anna's instructions) but Bacca's hound ears still present a challenge! I still manage to make his look a little ragged.
 
Back
Top