Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hair conditioner for Sheltie?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Phil Hughes, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Phil Hughes

Phil Hughes Forums Regular

Jul 15, 2017
    Our rescue, Kozi, just got back from the groomer a few days ago and he looks oh so much bettter. I am wondering though, his hair seems quite dry. Do you use a conditioner for the hair on your pups?

kosi2222.jpg

ghggp, Ann and SheepOfBlue like this.
  2. SheltieLuver

SheltieLuver Forums Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2008
    South Carolina
    A good spray on conditioner works wonders for the coat. Making it also easier to comb out.
    Ice on Ice or The Stuff are good ones. You can also make your own by diluting a good pet conditioner such as the Isle of Dogs brands. Dilution rate would be around one to two tablespoons of conditioner for an average size spray bottle.

3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Phil - No help for you questions - but have to say :wink2:

He looks so nice.
    It warms my heart every time I read your posts about Kozi:hugs
    - in between the lines I can be feel how much joy he has brought into your home

Cara Sandler and Phil Hughes like this.
  4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I agree! I just conditioned Layla's with Earth Bath Oatmeal Conditioner after her bath. She's glorious!!

Phil Hughes likes this.
  5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I use Ice on Ice during brushing but to often does seem to build up. The bath time is White on White followed by After Bath. Some Shelties have courser hair though so that might be some of it. Sca was silky all the time but technically had poor Sheltie Hair. Spitfire is courser but can be soft though he tends to roughen back up on his behind and tail fast.

Phil Hughes likes this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Wow, does he look good! You hit the jackpot with this cutie pie! Just a thought, he may have dry hair due to previous poor diet - hopefully you are feeding a high quality dog food (we use Wellness Lamb & Barley) and maybe adding a supplement like Vibrant Pets, which many here on the forum use. And yes, there is a variety of hair texture among Shelties. Ally had very coarse hair - she seemed waterproof at times! And Faith's hair is very soft and silky naturally, more like a Border Collie.

Phil Hughes likes this.
  7. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Wow he is stunning, beautiful coat. Lil' Lady has a coarse coat on her. Through Chewy.com I use Earth Bath Spritz.
    Helps when I brush her. Its a great product for the skin and hair. LOL even humans use it.

8. jackreacher8

jackreacher8 Forums Novice

Jan 16, 2018
    i just use this dog shampoo for them its very effective

9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Such a cutie!

I would add that Mr. Chance had dry hair and I always wondered why his coat was so much dryer than my other boys.
    Got a blood test and he needed thyroid meds.

10. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    We like Ice on Ice. I believe it also has a sunscreen (I may be wrong) which would help that gorgeous black coat out in the summer from not getting red.

corbinam likes this.