Harnesses can be deadly

Willow has walked with me for well over 2,000 miles with her current harness. That said, the design we had before finding this one, allowed her to slip out a couple of times but she didn't run away so it didn't cause an issue.

It is important to get the right design and the right fit for the right dog. I have used both collars and harnesses over the years and I like harnesses better these days. It is probably anthropomorphic projection that controlling a dog by wrapping something around their neck no longer feels right to me. It's not like I didn't do just that for decades including in the show ring and doing obedience training but I ask myself, if I was the one on the opposite end of the lead which would I prefer, a harness or a chain around my neck? Now, with all that said, if I Willow was slipping her harness or misbehaving or constantly pulling, I'd change back to keep her safe.
 
I have a RuffWare harness for Zulu. Adjusted properly, no way he can back out of it. Not cheap, but it is 6+ years old, with no signs of wear. I used a collar for early leash training, but once he was trained, I switched to the harness. I keep him on a 3' lead, so I can usually catch him before any pulling starts.
 
Oh Glenn... you are their guardian angel for sure!
I have been there as Logan slipped his collar as I was entering into a grooming store.
When he broke free I blocked him from running on to the freeway and he headed down into the neighborhood streets. He was running full speed as I and a tech from the grooming store tried to capture him! He was five blocks ahead of us! A man driving a pickup truck saw what was happening! He pulled into his driveway, ran into his house, and brought out a small white little dog and proceeded to sit on the sidewalk as Logan came towards him. He slowed and stopped to sniff the little dog and the man was able to grab and hold Logan!
By the time I got to him was was a crying and shaking mess! I could not control myself! I kept thanking the man profusely for helping me! A perfect stranger came to my rescue as you did!
The outcomes could have been so much worse for both of us if not for perfect strangers coming to our rescues! BRAVO YOU!
 
I second others' sentiments here, Glenn. They were very lucky you were there. As we all know, it doesn't take long for them to get away once they're loose. I've seen far too many lost dog stories lately. Bless you for quick thinking and coming to the rescue!

I know I've told the story here of having Pixie slip her harness in my vet's parking lot when she was a puppy. Fortunately, she ran into a hallway where some wonderful people caught her for me. There is nothing like that fear when they're loose and running. I have harnesses but I've never used them again either. I just don't have the confidence in them.
 
I have a RuffWare harness for Zulu. Adjusted properly, no way he can back out of it. Not cheap, but it is 6+ years old, with no signs of wear. I used a collar for early leash training, but once he was trained, I switched to the harness. I keep him on a 3' lead, so I can usually catch him before any pulling starts.
Spitfire laughs at your harness (and is STILL on double leash probation as he has also slipped collars). :ROFLMAO:
 
Back
Top