Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Has anyone done Fast CAT?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Sharon7, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    In August there's a good sized dog show about an hour north of here, where they are offering among other things, Fast CAT. It's a timed 100 yard run chasing a lure on a pulley. Given that we think our dogs are pretty fast, we were considering trying this. Has anyone else done it?

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    the only time that we tried it, it was pouring and they didn't cancel/reschedule... my friend held Destin at the start line and apparently there was a dip there which had turned into a puddle that was pretty deep for him. he definitely did not run, was not chasing the bag and stopped before the finish line to shake the wetness. we had signed up for the morning and the afternoon runs but we did not go back after we dried him and put him in the car. also the people running it weren't very nice so we've never been motivated to give them more money and try again....
    maybe we'll go somewhere else someday and try again.
    I do understand that lots of dogs including shelties love it......

Sandy in CT, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Not optimum conditions for sure! Couple of questions - do you pay by the run? I mean, who knows the first time what their reaction will be. And can one person be at the other end calling them?

I happened to check on the AKC list of dogs by breed, and Ashley's Enzo is number 14 Sheltie!! :yes:

Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    We call that Lure coursing here...CKC offers titles in it and before the pandemic it was becoming more popular for clubs to hold. I’m guessing because they got more dogs, more entries and they made more money. I worry about dogs getting hurt and honestly to me I found it too much of a money grab...just my opinion. I did consider entering Finnie at one point but obedience and rally were expensive enough (my entry fees could be over $300 lol).

Sharon7 and Sandy in CT like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Here in Canada you did pay by the run but you could check to see if anyone offers lure coursing practices. They’d have that here where people would meet in a park and practice. You could see if your dogs like it before you enter.

Sharon7 and Sandy in CT like this.
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- you pay by the run. you need two people- one to release and one to catch so yes you can call them from the end. most of the fastcats, you can do day of entry- I recommend that if you aren't sure if they'll chase the bag.

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    technically in AKC, lure coursing and fastcat are different. fastcat is a straight 100 yard dash following the bag in a straight line and it's open to any breed. Lure coursing has lots of turns and is generally only open to sighthounds. herding breeds tend to not follow the bag and skip the corners where the pulleys are so they can get injured by not running in the lane that they are supposed to be in.

Sharon7 likes this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Your right…my terminology was incorrect..at trials here they call it Sprinter trial, CKC calls it chase ability.

Calliesmom and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I've been "training" them with a toy on a fishing pole - Faith and Meadow are totally into chasing it, Elijah not as interested. We'll see - I also have no idea how much they are charging for it.

Piper's mom likes this.