Have to decide how to handle serious illness!

I am so happy to hear the news is better. Have you tried Adequan injections for the pain & joint issues? That made an amazing difference for my friend's senior Great Dane. they were ready to let her go because they didn't want to see her in pain. It bought them another few years. Also our vet mentioned milk thistle for helping with liver & kidney issues. Here's a link to an article- http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pe.../animal-health/milk-thistle-or-silymarin/2249

Check with your vet of course. It may not help much but if it doesn't hurt you might want to try it. We do so much for our beloved shelties. Letting them leave us is the hardest gift to give them.
 
I am sorry. I am in a similar situation. My boy was diagnosed with liver cancer at 14. He also has arthristis. There are other pain meds that are not nsaids. My dog has tolerated tramadol very well so that is something to consider. They Say there are some others to try if it didn't. When we decided to go the route of palliative care and not active fighting for the same reasons you have shared. i feel terrible but each vet in my practice completely understands. My guy is different in that after the horrible week he was diagnosed and sooo sick He improved. Like you the clinical (behavioral) signs aren't matching the medical facts. I Was "ready" to let him go if necessary. He did have irregular stomache problems which is common with liver cancer. Once we discovered he would eat ground turkey Nd potatoes and i add vitamins , i cook for him and it seems to work. No upset stomach or food refusal for a year. He had stopped eating but was interested .. i never dreamed he would still be here and i was fortunate. If he were 't so happy, alert, able to eat, and pain controlled things would sadly be different. I opted to take the gamble on making him comfortable until we couldn't.. Sadly only you guys can make the call as to what is too much and the exact details for your dog which are different than mine but related. It is a terrible position to be in making these decisions and i am very sorry and empathetic. I pray you will have peace in your decision and comfort in your sorrow.
 
Last edited:
I immediately responded after reading initial post now have read the rest. Everything you wrote in yoir second is exactly how have been feeling since his diagnosis. Identical. We also came to the same conclusion. And now it is like waiting for the other shoe to drop. The conclusion you two made about the indicators of what marks qualitynof life for him is exactly what a kind vet recommended i do. She said make a list of all things that make toby toby and the. As he declines i will have something to compare to and help me judge his quality of life.
 
Wife said to me last night that she felt like we shouldn't make any major alterations to Fasb's life until he starts showing symptoms. The blood work indicates stage 3 renal failure, but.... he shows no symptoms of anything that we can see. He eats well, plays hard, is very active, still normal habits and personality. He isn't drinking more water than normal. He does go to the bathroom (bladder) more frequently than he did when he was a puppy, but we can't detect any recent significant changes. He doesn't seem to have trouble holding it for long periods, or even overnight. We have a good idea what symptoms or changes we're looking for, but we really don't see much.

We're hoping the lack of symptoms means he can be himself for awhile yet. We want to maximize Fasb's quality of life for as long as we can. Basically, keep him happy and healthy in the short-term and just let nature take it's course. We don't intend to let him linger through a long illness, so when he starts to feel poorly and not be himself and life becomes a series of doctor visits and shots and side effects, we'll help him move on.

Our vet - as always - is saying that we can manage his condition for years to come, but acknowledges it will be tricky. We don't have a good feeling about most of the suggestions he is throwing out, so we're wondering if we should keep Fasb's routines and treatments normal for as long as we can then deal with the issues. At his age, we feel like the next decline will be permanent and he'll never be himself again.

Basically, I feel like doing something major like switching from an NSAID to a steroid may keep his kidneys healthy for a little while longer but will probably lead to other problems which could actually shorten his remaining quality time, not extend it.

On the other hand, the vet is the expert. Normally, my inclination would be to follow his advice wholeheartedly.

Hard to know what to do.
 
I really sympathize with your quandry. The only easy suggestion I have at this point is to attempt to change his diet only. After we discovered Ally's pancreatitis, and changed her food to lowfat I/D (which is lower in protein, too) her kidney numbers which had been creeping up went down to normal, and she stopped drinking tons of water. I know lots of folks here don't like Science Diet but there are other kidney diets out there. If you try canned food and not the dry kibble, he may actually like it. That could buy him some quality time without any big medical interventions.
 
Yeah, I think a diet change is definitely in order. We'll probably try Science Diet or one of the other low protein foods, but I'm skeptical he'll want that. We're thinking a some sort of natural foods/prepared by us diet is the route to go.
 
Doesn't look like we'll make much progress this week. We had an appt. tonight to recheck Fasb (new blood draw), but the vet's office called this morning to cancel. Vet is in hospital w/ heart problems. I'm supposed to call back later this week and see what the prognosis is. Hopefully, he's back to work later this week or next. If not, I'll see if they want me to go elsewhere or wait a while. Vet is a solo practitioner but he does have an assistant/technician, so it seems like they could draw and test blood without him.

Fasb seems fine. Nothing out of the ordinary. If he feels poorly, he's doing a great job covering. Nothing unusual about his bathroom or water-drinking habits.
 
Blood work was redone yesterday. Values almost identical to three weeks ago. Good news is that it's not the Metacam destroying his kidneys, so he can stay on that. Bad news is that it's... an old age thing, basically.

Vet would guess how much time he has left. Put it between 2 months and three years. Way to go out on a limb, lol. Since he's not showing a lot of symptoms, I kinda figure he'll live at least a couple months. And, at his age, he'll be lucky to last 2 or three years no matter what.
 
I feel your pain. When I was in this situation with Cody, the vet told us 3 months - 2 years. Despite our best efforts, he went 3 months before we had to make the decision to send him to the bridge. There is a web sit www.pet-loss.net that has a lot of good information on quality of life, and making that final decision. Some of it is tough to read...
 
Talked to the vet again today. Didn't actually talk to him yesterday after the blood draw. He called and left a message on our answering machine. Talking to him in person left me feeling more pessimistic about the situation. He wants Fasb off Metacam on on a steroid, Dexamethasone. Dismissed my concerns about steroids by saying the chance of side effects, in his experience, was 1 in 100.

Thinks the immediate issue is hydration and nutritional deficits. He did put Fasb on a vitamin supplement. Didn't suggest much for hydration except to encourage him to drink more. Fasb is drinking, but not a lot. Fluid consumption is actually down a bit. Vet is concerned about dehydration, but says it's hard to force dogs to drink more. Apparently, it's causing his blood to thicken.

Not sure what we could do. IV's? Not sure Fasb would do well with that and we probably wouldn't want to put him through it if he didn't tolerate it well.

Said the hydration situation could/would inevitably lead to dehydration and illness, but that it could take a month... or five years.

Dunno what to do. i feel like the situation is going to deteriorate a lot faster than we think, so maybe the focus should be on making him as comfortable as possible in the short-term.
 
Back
Top