Help BarbV! Or anyone with the Dremel Stylus 1100

Okay, I guess the part I was confused about is the mandrel..,do you have to buy a different mandrel for every size (half inch, quarter inch, etc)? Because online it looks like they just sell the pieces of Sandpaper that goes around the mandrel.

I believe you can buy them seperatly if you need a replacement but I believe it should come with a 1/2" and 1/4" mandrel. It should come with a few different accessories and sanding rings.
 
Thanks Ontario! I'm so excited to get this tool. I bought the Oster brand one but took it back after I realized what a ripoff it was. It was advertised to have 2 settings...I opened 2 different boxes and put batteries in it and neither worked on the faster setting. It seemed to get good reviews compared to the peticure but I'm not the average groomer I guess. I don't want rounded nails- I want short rounded nails that don't go click-click-click scrrrrape on my hardwood floors haha!
 
I use the Dremel Stylus and I found the choice of grinder head confusing too.

Dremel actually has a fact sheet for nail trimming http://www.freedomflightsparrotrescue.ca/Flock Talk/Nail Trimming.pdf

The 4-series numbers are item numbers. When Barb and Silaria mention 120 grit, they are referring to the coarseness of the grits.

I have used the 431 and 438 (I'll have to check what grit that corresponds to when I get home). I started with the 438 but I much prefer the 431--it's coarser so it is much faster to complete the job.

I'm so glad that you posted the dremmel instructions for dog nail grinding. I went looking for them but lost them.

You guys got me lost on the 431's and 438's and the 120's etc. But I think you are talking about two different things.

One is the size of the drum

The second is the coarseness/fineness of of the paper itself.

For a little more info on drum size and grit, see the following:

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~jmerenski1/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html

I'm sure I had this all down pat at one time, but I think I pretty much settled into what worked for me and forgot the "numbers" after that.

I do think though the smaller the drumm, the faster the speed, so you may need to adjust your speed dial accordingly.

I tend to file my boys rough (for speed rather than finesse), knowing that it can heat up quickly. I rely on the "outside" to smooth the nails afterwards.

And if the nails are particularly long, sometimes I do a quick clip first and then finish with the dremmel.

The dremmel definitately takes longer than clippers but I find my dogs are easier with it and less chance of bleeders so I'm easier too!
 
Back
Top