Help! Poor Honey...

JacqueZ

Forums Enthusiast
I feel I've talked about how sensitive Honey's skin is a lot, but she's blowing her coat right now and it's about a hundred times worse. I touch her on her belly and her legs are twitching and she's flinching. She's scratching and biting more...it's not fleas, she has no dander and I can't find any on her and she's on flea and tick prevenative medication, so I'm assuming it's due to shedding her hair.

Are there any products I can use to speed up the process or to make it more tolerable for her?
 
Biting always makes me think fleas unless she is biting her feet only. What kind of flea and tick preventative ? With some dogs just one bite sets them off-you may not find any fleas on her and with shelties it is tricky. Check at the base of her tail for flea dirt or on her groin area. Is her skin red and inflamed or are there scabs ? If not fleas maybe grass or food allergies or mold or trees or...
 
It sounds like Honey could have allergies. What you're describing would not be caused by shedding. I would schedule a visit to your vet to check. She may need a round of medication to make her more comfortable, or special shampoo.

Please keep us posted! Pats to Honey.
 
She gets like this every summer, she doesn't have fleas, I've checked for that again and again, and I'm careful to keep her on the medication, but maybe she is allergic to the bites and more just get through before dying.

I can't see any scaly patches on her her fur, and (from the little I can see through her coat) it doesn't look abnormally red. Could humidity trapped under her fur be causing extra discomfort?

We haven't gone anywhere different, and I've not noticed any new strange weeds she could have gotten into....

I just hate seeing her so upset. If it keeps up I'll go talk to the vet.
 
I second Ann's suggestion of taking her to the vet. I hope your baby girl is better soon. Keep us updated! :hugs
 
What are you feeding her? You could also try finding a local beekeeper and buying some local honey. If she's having allergies to pollen in the air this will help. Just give her a tiny bit in each meal. You also need to make sure her undercoat has been raked out and there is no packed hair. A forced air dryer will also help with this. My boy goes through the same thing if I don't keep up on his coat. I have been so busy with puppies and forgot that he does this to himself that this time he did it pretty bad. Luckily I caught it before it got really ugly and have been keeping up on brushing, raking and forced air drying him. Everything is back to normal now.

An afterthought... use a very mild shampoo on her and make sure you rinse it out COMPLETELY!
 
I would have the vet see her. The vet will be able to get her better.

Honey is on my prayer list.

Please keep us updated and give her a hug from me. Thanks.
 
Help poor Honey

Here is one suggestion I don't think I've seen, is Honey maybe having a reaction to the medication being used? Hope your baby gets some much needed relief soon, I will keep good thoughts for both of you.
 
Back
Top