Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Help with aggressive behavior when leaving play group

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by dream2012, Jul 17, 2017.

1. dream2012

dream2012 Forums Regular

Jun 27, 2015
    Coastal area
    I am back and I have tried to minimize interactions with dogs i know he does not get along with. What is interesting, is he will play nicely, running, herding, etc., with most dogs and then something will set him off. A recent interaction with a cockapoo, a good buddy, had the cockapoo flat on his back, on the ground and jax growling at him. No blood, thank goodness, but i immediately put the leash on and said, "NO" and took him home. It is a shame because he and this dog look forward to their play dates and90% of the time, they do well until we have to leave. Then he pulls on the leash, mad and growling, then he calms down as i coax him with a treat, jogging next to him, pulling on the leash. He loves a Great Dane and plays really well with Maxie. I guess my question is when do you if it is just dogs playing and the potential for one dog to injure another (which is the last thing i ever want to happen). I know another neighborhood buddy who loves to play with Jax, had a treat and was super aggressive as Jax walked near him. I had never seen this behavior from this dog, but Jax just walked away, not engaging in a fight. I jsut wish i know the reason for this impulsive behavior when his tail is wagging and playing and then something sets him off. No idea. Also, he loves to play with a tiny little mixed breed dog and is gentle, whimpers with excitement to play and has never exhibited these actions with the little dog.

We have a dog park at our summer home and i used to love taking him there but i am now afraid he will get into an altercation with some larger, more powerful, stronger dog that could turn ugly. So, we walk and walk, but havent returned to the dog park since last spring.

Jax loves people and has never met a stranger. When he sees the neighborhood kids, his tail wags ferociously, smiling and a joy. They run in our yard with him,whcih is great, and chase him, through his ball, and never an aggressive episode. He loves to sit with me and snuggle (unlike the previous three shelties). He is very cuddly and loving.

Open to any and all suggestions. I am looking for a trainer, but like anything else, they all have different philosophies and it is finding the right one. Also, a trainer that understands a sheltie's characteristics (herding, excitemement).

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'm so sorry your still having problems but I think for now it's best that you stay away from the dog parks as you've been doing. Too many unstable dogs and perhaps Jax is picking up inappropriate behaviour from other dogs and this is what's setting him off? So possibly it's not Jax's fault...maybe he's just over sensitive to other dogs behaviours. Just a thought, and he sounds like a very normal stable dog otherwise.

3. dream2012

dream2012 Forums Regular

Jun 27, 2015
    Coastal area
    Thank you, Piper's mom. Just this morning, in the rain, we took a short walk and he spotted a new neighbor dog, whom he has seen on occasion while the owner was running with his dog, a Golden Retriever. Dog appeared happy, smiling and enjoying the jog with his owner. We have the invisible fence, so while i was outsode with Jax, he saw, him, paced the front yard happily barking and whimpering, as if to say, "stop and play!" o So on our walk this morning, Jax spotted the Golden in his yard, restrained by the invisible fence, and Jax darted to the dog and i quickly pupped the leash back and said, no. he also whimpered slightly indicating he wants to play. This dog, stood, tail up and looking like he could devour jax, but he just stood there. I was half afraid he would dart from his yard. I guess he was intimidated with jax's running partway into his yard. Again, i never saw that dog look so stern and mean, but then again, Jax tore up into the yard for a quick second. I have never, ever had this behavior with previous three shelties. I am a very social person and so is Jax, but he is too errataic with other dogs. It saddens me because the best part of the day is walking him. I socialized him early and this behavior started as he matured. I am wondernig if i would see a change with neutering. I am on the fence about neutering. My other shelties were all neutered but with new information about it and the pros and cons, i have not made a decision yet. My husband and i joke about how we are older now and, irnoically, have a high-energy dog that we should have had when we were younger with kids. He requires a lot of attention and exercising. Interestingly, our home has long windows and he can run around and see anything outside ALL Day!!! SQUIRRELS, FOXES, DEER...and he stays active moving - rarely naps. At our summer home, we dont have the long windows and i find he snoozes more. Funny! When i go out, he stays in the laundry room, which is a decent size, but i would assume he sleeps when i am gone. OK, enough. i am seriously considering consulting a dog trainer.