help with jumping form

I recommend the Susan Salo Foundation Jumping DVD's. That's the seminar Maia and I went to. Susan Salo does not teach handling, she just teaches jumping skills so it does not contradict any handling system that you will teach. Her Set Point Grid with the V-apparatus is the one that teaches the dog to rock back on their hind legs.
 
I recommend the Susan Salo Foundation Jumping DVD's. That's the seminar Maia and I went to. Susan Salo does not teach handling, she just teaches jumping skills so it does not contradict any handling system that you will teach. Her Set Point Grid with the V-apparatus is the one that teaches the dog to rock back on their hind legs.

I have a question about this. Granted, I don't have the DVD yet (getting it this weekend), but I've been watching some videos on youtube and tried a couple things yesterday at our agility class.

What do you do if your dog just steps over the low jump in front? Even at 8", Lexi is just stepping over it. I don't want to put it up too high because she's still a baby, but I'm not sure how to force her to jump.
 
I have a question about this. Granted, I don't have the DVD yet (getting it this weekend), but I've been watching some videos on youtube and tried a couple things yesterday at our agility class.

What do you do if your dog just steps over the low jump in front? Even at 8", Lexi is just stepping over it. I don't want to put it up too high because she's still a baby, but I'm not sure how to force her to jump.

She's still very young. I would not force her to jump yet. On most of the grids, there is no 'real' height on the jumps.

Which DVD did you order? The puppy jumping or the foundation jumping? I have not seen the puppy jumping DVD myself.

The 'low jump' in front is actually not a 'jump' - it is just a marker per say. The V-apparatus helps with the dog's ability to jump into the set point area and out again. It will come with time. The good thing that Susan said at the seminar, the young dogs don't have any bad habits of us teaching them how to jump, so they pick all this up very quickly and easily. So don't worry to much if she is walking through it. My question to you would be, what kind of a treat are you using on the target? If it is not enough of a high value treat, the dogs aren't as motivated to get to it quickly. Also, if she is young and therefore small, what distance do you have between the two 'jumps'? If it is too far apart, she will not be able to get one bounce/stride in the set point. It sounds complicated but it is not really. When you get the DVDs, the first DVD explains all of it really, really well.
 
She's still very young. I would not force her to jump yet. On most of the grids, there is no 'real' height on the jumps.

Which DVD did you order? The puppy jumping or the foundation jumping? I have not seen the puppy jumping DVD myself.

The 'low jump' in front is actually not a 'jump' - it is just a marker per say. The V-apparatus helps with the dog's ability to jump into the set point area and out again. It will come with time. The good thing that Susan said at the seminar, the young dogs don't have any bad habits of us teaching them how to jump, so they pick all this up very quickly and easily. So don't worry to much if she is walking through it. My question to you would be, what kind of a treat are you using on the target? If it is not enough of a high value treat, the dogs aren't as motivated to get to it quickly. Also, if she is young and therefore small, what distance do you have between the two 'jumps'? If it is too far apart, she will not be able to get one bounce/stride in the set point. It sounds complicated but it is not really. When you get the DVDs, the first DVD explains all of it really, really well.

Thanks for your answers! I'm looking forward to the DVD. My friend actually has the whole set (all of the DVDs), but I think we'll start with the puppy one. I'll let you know what I think ;)

I think you might be right about the treat, too. We are just using kibble--I think I need to suck it up and make some liver. :dead:
 
Well, if you are using kibble, I would definitely change that. You know, cheese works really well too if you don't want to do the liver. At the seminar, depending on the grid we were working on, we had to resort to the really smelly, good stuff like sausage and roasted chicken etc.

If your friend has all the DVD's then the puppy one is a great place to start Lexi on. You'll be amazed when she does get a bit older, how well she will jump and work through the other grids. Maia never did the puppy grids, but then we never started agility that young, and she does very well with the foundation grids. I am sure Lexi will too.
 
Back
Top