High Protein/Low Protein HELP

So does the high protein levels in TOTW (or any other food) contribute to kidney disease or is it that the high protein levels are bad only when the kidneys are already having problems. (and it seems like most dogs sooner or later have kidney problems) I was soo excited to learn of TOTW and the other good quality foods out there because I was feeding my Angel (RIP) Alpo... but now this whole protein debate has me second guessing everything. I am taking my pup to the vet on the 12th so I have lots of questions for her!!
 
I'm about to go out and purchase TOTW High Prarie and begin transitioning Edan to it so I've been following these various "High Protein/Low Protein" discussions of late.

Right now I'm feeding him Eagle Pack Holistic Select Chicken Meal and Rice. That has 24% protein in it. It also has, however, chicken and pork "meal" which I thought wasn't as good for them as straight chicken and pork - one of the reasons I was going to switch.

The TOTW I was going to switch to has the higher 32% protein.

Edan is also a fairly active dog, agility, and we tend to feed less than what the bag recommends. (Gotta factor in those treats.)

Based on this... should I stick with what I was using, which is actually more expensive than TOTW, or give the TOTW a try?

I feed Eagle Pack Holistic Select Chicken also to my adult dogs who don't have any kidney issues. I feed it because of the protein level; the ingredients are excellent, and they thrive on it. Chicken and pork "meal" are fine. Personally, and on the recommendation of my vet for all my Shelties, I would not feed a food that is higher than 29 percent.
 
SheltieGuy, I can understand how you are feeling, really. My first dog - a Malamute-mix named Candy, died from kidney failure. At the time she died, we were feeding her the IAMS moist chunks (when it was in packets) because she had issues eating dry food because of a maxi-esophagus.

At the time we had her on that food, was right when the issues with the gluten from China was a big issue in MANY MANY MANY canned brands of food. The issue caused kidney failure. Talk about something hard to live with.

Honestly, all we can do is the best we possibly can. Our dear beloved animals are always going to have a risk of getting a serious problem like kidneys, liver, cancer, etc. regardless of what we do. Heck, even in humans people who live near 100% healthy lifestyles still die from heart attacks.

We can read everything out there but sometimes it is possible to so OVER ANALYZE that we become unable to make a decision one way or the other.

From what I've been able to gather, the average protein is in the 20% range however if you have a more active dog, you can go higher. If you really want to be safe, do annual or bi-annual blood work with your vet and, if necessary, change foods again. And this should probably be done with ANY food you feed.

Beyond that can we really do much more without giving ourselves an ulcer or worrying into inactivity?
 
Last edited:
SheltieGuy, I can understand how you are feeling, really. My first dog - a Malamute-mix named Candy, died from kidney failure. At the time she died, we were feeding her the IAMS moist chunks (when it was in packets) because she had issues eating dry food because of a maxi-esophagus.

At the time we had her on that food, was right when the issues with the gluten from China was a big issue in MANY MANY MANY canned brands of food. The issue caused kidney failure. Talk about something hard to live with.

Honestly, all we can do is the best we possibly can. Our dear beloved animals are always going to have a risk of getting a serious problem like kidneys, liver, cancer, etc. regardless of what we do. Heck, even in humans people who live near 100% healthy lifestyles still die from heart attacks.

We can read everything out there but sometimes it is possible to OVER ANALYZE that we because unable to make a decision one way or the other.

From what I've been able to gather, the average protein is in the 20% range however if you have a more active dog, you can go higher. If you really want to be safe, do annual or bi-annual blood work with your vet and, if necessary, change foods again. And this should probably be done with ANY food you feed.

Beyond that can we really do much more without giving ourselves an ulcer or worrying into inactivity?

Thank you..I could not have said it better myself~
 
SheltieGuy, I can understand how you are feeling, really. My first dog - a Malamute-mix named Candy, died from kidney failure. At the time she died, we were feeding her the IAMS moist chunks (when it was in packets) because she had issues eating dry food because of a maxi-esophagus.

At the time we had her on that food, was right when the issues with the gluten from China was a big issue in MANY MANY MANY canned brands of food. The issue caused kidney failure. Talk about something hard to live with.

Honestly, all we can do is the best we possibly can. Our dear beloved animals are always going to have a risk of getting a serious problem like kidneys, liver, cancer, etc. regardless of what we do. Heck, even in humans people who live near 100% healthy lifestyles still die from heart attacks.

We can read everything out there but sometimes it is possible to OVER ANALYZE that we because unable to make a decision one way or the other.

From what I've been able to gather, the average protein is in the 20% range however if you have a more active dog, you can go higher. If you really want to be safe, do annual or bi-annual blood work with your vet and, if necessary, change foods again. And this should probably be done with ANY food you feed.

Beyond that can we really do much more without giving ourselves an ulcer or worrying into inactivity?

It just seems as though you ask 100 people and you get 100 different answers.. I think TOTW is great food .If 32% protein is too high (ie: Prairie and Wetlands) I can give him the TOTW Pacific that is 25 %. ( i Just bought a 30 lb bag of Prairie but can surely donate it to the SPCA if Pacific (25% protein) would be better for my boy!!)

I will ask my vet .. but I bet the vets have differing opinions as well. Surely my Pup will get blood work done annually or biannually regardless. I guess my main question is there a magic protein number when it comes to Shelties ... cuz if there is I am sure we can find a food to accommodate our beloved furry friends.
 
Last edited:
I have fed Eagle pack Holistic Duck and potato to Ember. She really did well on it. But I had a hard time controlling her weight on it.
 
It just seems as though you ask 100 people and you get 100 different answers.. I think TOTW is great food .If 32% protein is too high (ie: Prairie and Wetlands) I can give him the TOTW Pacific that is 25 %. ( i Just bought a 30 lb bag of Prairie but can surely donate it to the SPCA if Pacific (25% protein) would be better for my boy!!)

I will ask my vet .. but I bet the vets have differing opinions as well. Surely my Pup will get blood work done annually or biannually regardless. I guess my main question is there a magic protein number when it comes to Shelties ... cuz if there is I am sure we can find a food to accommodate our beloved furry friends.

I'm gonna tell ya..it will make your head swim,you'll end up with a migraine!
And i'll guarentee you your vet will have an opinion.Especially so if he has any dog foods on his shelf in his office.

Both of my guys are going in next week,as Earnhardt needs blood work done,just routine,so it will definately be discussed again with our vet. The whole team there knows that we feed TOTW,and when we mentioned it,to Dr. McCaskill,she was very pleased on our choice of foods.

You can do lots of reading about hunting,sporting dogs,and what foods are recommended for these hard working breeds.They benefit from the high protein%'s. Because of thier metabolism.

As you said,proper yearly checkups,and if you feel the need every 6 months, to keep track,but that is part of taking care of our pups.Preventative maintanence.

I don't think you wil lever find that magic number~
 
I'm gonna tell ya..it will make your head swim,you'll end up with a migraine!
And i'll guarentee you your vet will have an opinion.Especially so if he has any dog foods on his shelf in his office.
~
I agree with you 100%. That is why I think we will never find a definitive answer.
IF anyone has read some of my previous post ...My first dog died of kidney failure so I am kind of obsessed with doing as much as I can for my new puppy! ( thanks to all of you here... I have learned a lot) It is much appreciated!
 
I agree with you 100%. That is why I think we will never find a definitive answer.
IF anyone has read some of my previous post ...My first dog died of kidney failure so I am kind of obsessed with doing as much as I can for my new puppy! ( thanks to all of you here... I have learned a lot) It is much appreciated!

All of this talk is great....it is how we learn. One of the many positives of belonging to such an informative forum such as this one.

What you also need to keep in mind is that food is not usually the reason that a dog gets kidney failure. I believe that it has NOT been proven that high protein CAUSES kidney failure. The list of known causes of kidney failure is long. Here are some:
Age
Viral, fungal, or bacterial infections
Parasites
Cancer
Inflammation
Autoimmune diseases
Trauma
Toxic reaction to poisons or medications
Congenital and inherited disorders
Antibiotics
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories

And the list goes on and on.

Your BEST bet of preventing the loss of another dog to kidney failure is to do a routine analysis of your dogs kidney function. That is the ONLY definitive way.

This is near and dear to my heart as well, since my Cedar died of renal failure one year ago on December 26th.
 
Back
Top