Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Homemade treat recipes.

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by Cooper'sMama, Feb 25, 2015.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I use any meat (including the bottom crumbs of the kibble or store bought treats, an egg, coconut oil and tapioca flour) for the pyramid pan treats, the dogs love them, I have a baggie full, and they are the perfect sheltie size. Now I'm hunting for more silicone mats, one paw shaped in particular for my other favorite frozen treat - banana and peanut butter in equal portions with coconut oil - fill into silicone pan and freeze, store in zip lock bag in freezer for a delicious treat. (I suppose i could eat that too... but, I prefer ice cream. :) )

2. jackreacher8

jackreacher8 Forums Novice

Jan 16, 2018
    i usually just use store bought dog treats that are really good as well lol. but maybe i'll try homemade ones after seeing this.

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Dog cookies are so easy to make I usually don't even use a recipe. I usually use oatmeal as my flour (I stay away from flour) and sometimes tapioca flour (also called tapioca starch) and then I change it up with either meat or fruit. They love the liver and heart cookies (great for training)...just ground heart, liver oatmeal and an egg or I add apple or banana to it instead of the meat. Sometimes I get fancy and make them an apple-cheddar cookie that I cut out with a bone shaped cookie cutter. So many options...the best training treat is tuna fudge or any variety of it ( I use liver pate in a can), if you use tapioca flour it changes the texture of the cookie so it doesn't crumble (also dries nicely).
    Happy baking...your dog will love you!

4. unimog

unimog Forums Regular

Oct 7, 2016
    maryland
    Cody loves raw vegetables as treats. It can be carrots cucumbers radishes peppers what have you he loves it all.