House breaking

marymrumfelt

Forums Enthusiast
I'm so happy I was able to search through old threads and read people's post regarding house breaking. I can honestly say it's been so much easier than I imagined. I pictured pure horror, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised. I started crating them consistently at 8 weeks and followed a strict schedule of food intake and also water and I was able to pick up within a few days how long after each pup ate until it had to go potty. They spent a lot of time in their crate during those first two weeks, but they did have plenty of entertainment. They started sleeping through the night about 4 days after I implemented their schedule, so at 8 weeks and 4 days they'd sleep and hold it for about 9 hours-- nice! from 8-10 wks they had maybe 5 accidents total -- 4 pee and 1 poop. I did take them outside every 20 mins when they were playing and had free access to water and then before/after nap time.... so a total of at least 20 times a day, haha. Then at ten wks I started leaving them crated while I went to my internship which was from 8am-1pm. They were fine and never has any accidents. Now at 12 weeks they run to the front door right away when I let them out of their crate and if we're playing and I ask if they need to potty they go to the front door if they do. I still have to watch them like a hawk and most of the time they are in the kitchen and it's blocked off... but they are getting more and more time where they can be free. I'm just so proud of them. They know "sit" "up" "inside" "potty" "crate" and "eat" :)
 
The wonderful Joy of Shelties... what awesome little guys and good for you to have a good schedule going!!
But then they become teenagers...
But that is another thread for another time!:eek2:
 
The wonderful Joy of Shelties... what awesome little guys and good for you to have a good schedule going!!
But then they become teenagers...
But that is another thread for another time!:eek2:

ha! Oh, joy. Another array of tasks to tackle and things to teach them and things for me to learn, lol.

I really, really recommend the book, "Don't Shoot the Dog." It has taught me a ton but effectively communicating and teaching your dog to understand what you want from them. :)
 
ha! Oh, joy. Another array of tasks to tackle and things to teach them and things for me to learn, lol.

I really, really recommend the book, "Don't Shoot the Dog." It has taught me a ton but effectively communicating and teaching your dog to understand what you want from them. :)

that and the clicker :)
 
that and the clicker :)

Check out "The Thinking Dog- Crossover to clicker training" byGail Tamases Fisher. Wonderful book and really explains clicker training its terms and theroy and moving from other types of training(reward based/luring or complusion based training) to clicker training. I just reread Don't Shoot the Dog. Great book for training people too.
 
Check out "The Thinking Dog- Crossover to clicker training" byGail Tamases Fisher. Wonderful book and really explains clicker training its terms and theroy and moving from other types of training(reward based/luring or complusion based training) to clicker training. I just reread Don't Shoot the Dog. Great book for training people too.

OHH that sounds like a promising read!!
Coming from the 'other' camp now being firmly entrenched in the positive reenforcement one I still have some struggles with my old way of thinking and acting :(
So I am going to put this book on my christmas list!!!
 
Back
Top