House-training... What am I doing wrong?

Hi Cheryl...

Miko is an affectionate name/diminutive name in Serbian & my SO is Serbian. To complicate matters, I'm Italian, so I wanted him to have an Italian name. We'd almost 100% agreed on Luka, when my son announced that his good friend at schools is named Luka and he didn't want to name the dog after him. LOL... So we went with Niko... Then he arrived and it was clear that he wasn't a Niko at all... So we went with the cuter/softer.. Miko. Phew... long story for a very short name :winkgrin:
 
Thank you to everyone for the great advice...

We had an accident-free day yesterday. Once I figured out that he preferred going on grass... we haven't had a problem.

I've made sure to clean up his accidents with an amonia-free cleaner, but I didn't know about "Natures Miracle"... so that's super helpful!

My dogs will only EVER do their business on grass! I don't even bother bringing a bag when we're on concrete. Only once was I surprised by Bacca when he suddenly pooped on the street, and I was bagless! I was so embarrassed
 
Try unlearning a sheltie puppy from going on grass....my grass out here is FAKE, so I had to teach her to stop going on it and go in the gravel....ah the desert. She now knows that the big grassy area is where we chase and she can roll around safely, gravel is for pee. Amazing that she learned so quickly. No wonder we love this breed, smart cookies :)
 
Try unlearning a sheltie puppy from going on grass....my grass out here is FAKE, so I had to teach her to stop going on it and go in the gravel....ah the desert. She now knows that the big grassy area is where we chase and she can roll around safely, gravel is for pee. Amazing that she learned so quickly. No wonder we love this breed, smart cookies :)

They are very smart. I paper-trained Miko. I had to housebreak him when he was about 2-3 years old. He had 2 accidents in the house and that was it. He was housebroken. I was impressed, especially after reading all the things saying how hard it was going to be because paper training teaches them it's okay to go in the house, etc, etc, etc.

Can't she go on the grass? Most fake grasses I know you can use for dogs (as it goes into the gravel/etc under the grass. Not yours?
 
Back
Top