How can I get that "Full Fluff" look when grooming.

I agree, usually just when you think it is enough, cut back a wee bit more and it is then perfect.

I have not tried the bath yet, been too cold, but, I am trying some different brushes that I have lying around, they seem to do a good job and I did not have to spend a fortune on them. As he is only a pup and a pet, I think they will work fine.
 
I'm glad you trimmed Laddie's nails with no problem...good deal. The brushes I use are not expensive. My two are pets but I want them to look like they have had a decent grooming job. The equipment that I have seems to do the job just fine....none of which are costly.
 
I am using the pin brush right now, it seems to be good. The fine tooth comb I got for his fine fur is not as easy to use, he does not seem to like it.

LOL, as to the nails, well, he did wiggle, but, not badly, I have not tried the back ones yet, I think I will do that in sections, meaning just let him feel the implement on his paws first, then, slowly cutting the nails. I have a feeling this is not going to be too easy, but, I may be wrong.
 
Keep in mind that the slicker brush was designed to take out undercoat. No undercoat, nothing to hold up the guard coat.

This is something I have never really understood. I thought brushing/combing would only take out loose undercoat. I realize that there are certain things designed to strip undercoat, but I did not think a slicker, pin brush, rake, or comb would remove undercoat if it was not already loose?
 
This is something I have never really understood. I thought brushing/combing would only take out loose undercoat. I realize that there are certain things designed to strip undercoat, but I did not think a slicker, pin brush, rake, or comb would remove undercoat if it was not already loose?

That was a surprise to me as well. I always preferred the slicker in the past, but, if it does indeed take all the undercoat out, then I guess I will change to another brush. Sure is a lot to learn about grooming, etc.:confused2:
 
That was a surprise to me as well. I always preferred the slicker in the past, but, if it does indeed take all the undercoat out, then I guess I will change to another brush. Sure is a lot to learn about grooming, etc.:confused2:

I'm not sure entirely what Tagg meant...maybe she can clarify

Grooming your dog is a 1 to 3 step process depending on thick the undercoat is.

1) undercoat
2) undercoat
3) guard hair smoothing

One thing to remember.....no matter what brush/rake you use, ALWAYS LINE BRUSH! You always want to start with under coat first.

I generally don't recommend a rake for beginners, but when I do use it I usually I start with the rake in the thick pants....always misting with water or a water/conditioner mix, and always line brushing. NEVER brush your dog dry....it will break the coat.

Mostly, I avoid the rake, and usually use the slicker first. Rake is for really bad pants. But no matter the tool - always line brushing. I finish with the pin brush. I use the pin brush to remove final stay hairs and for fluffing/smoothing.
 
Back
Top