When I was starting to look for a new dog, about a year after having to PTS my malamute-mix, I had been watching agility on TV and was enraptured with the bond between the dog and handler - the looked like they were having a BLAST together and the shine in the dog's eyes at the end of the run was just incredible.
I KNEW I wanted that connection with the next dog I added to our family; which is one of many reasons why we have a Sheltie today.
After I brought Edan home, I registered him for the earliest behavior class I could get him into. By this point I'd been reading a LOT of web sites and books on Agility. I knew I had to wait until my 7 month old pup was near 1.5 years before I could really get too far into training. (I know now there were things we could have done sooner but hind sight is 20-20.) So, I focused on his behavior and working on a CGC.
Shortly after finishing his first behavior class I ended up back in Grad School for a year which temporarily derailed his training. (I didn't have time to do both.) I continued to work on his basics so those would get, and stay, strong. I also started looking around my local area and researching the different clubs that taught agility. One club's name kept coming up via word of mouth from other Sheltie owners/breeders for my area - Splash 'n Dash.
With school behind me, I FINALLY, with a now 2 year old Edan, could start working on Agility. It was WORTH the wait! We are having a BLAST! Edan loves it. Going to the school is like going to a playground for him. Honestly, I think starting him at 2 has been a slight advantage because he was more settled and focused on what he was doing than an easily distracted teen/young adult would have been.
Edan's not the fastest dog, accurate as all get out but not fast, and I'll be surprised if we get a CH in any of the venues we run BUT honestly I don't really care. I started doing this to have fun with my little boy. To give him a "job" to do and a safe place to get some additional exercise for both of us. As long as it stays fun, we'll keep playing.
I'm just learning along with Maia. I thought it would be something fun to do. I really had no idea what so ever as to how much work and thought and skill is needed on both the dogs and the handler's part! But I must say, I am thouroughly enjoying it, as is Maia I am sure. I cannot wait to actually compete with her.
I know what you mean! I was SHOCKED at the little nuances and technicalities even in something as basic as jumping. Watching it on TV you don't see that unless you know what you are looking at.
I was also surprised at how tired the dogs got after what appeared to be simple exercises. You don't realize the mental energy the pups are exerting when they are trying to calculate things like take-off points, landing points, what you want them to do next, etc. It's AMAZING what they can calculate so quickly. These dogs aren't just athletically talented, they are incredibly INTELLIGENT also.