How do you keep cool?

We just bought the Ryobi fan, but I'm not sure if we're going to keep it or not. The fan was $30, then the battery was $40, and then you have to buy a charger, too, and I'm not sure how much that would be.

When we purchased the Ryobi fan, Home Depot was selling a Ryobi kit that included a bag, two batteries, charger, flashlight, and wireless drill. That set was actually cheaper than buying a battery and charger. (I believe this is the set but it doesn't show the bag or charger: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

Honestly, I LOVE the fan. The battery lasts a good 8 hours on low. (I've never run it all day on high; haven't needed to because we are indoors.) It's a nice size so it really moves air nicely.
 
When we purchased the Ryobi fan, Home Depot was selling a Ryobi kit that included a bag, two batteries, charger, flashlight, and wireless drill. That set was actually cheaper than buying a battery and charger. (I believe this is the set but it doesn't show the bag or charger: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

Honestly, I LOVE the fan. The battery lasts a good 8 hours on low. (I've never run it all day on high; haven't needed to because we are indoors.) It's a nice size so it really moves air nicely.

That's awesome that they have a kit! I'll have to check this out (ie show it to my husband!) I think I'll keep the fan, too. I keep thinking about how quickly we have to replace all the huge batteries in the little fans and think that the high price now might be worth it in the end.
 
Satying Cool

Lot of the agility folks here have EZ ups and tents and fans. Most of the trials this summer seem to be indoors with alot outside also.They use the reflective cloth to keep the dogs shaded. I personally shave just Shadow and Sting 's bellies. I will hose them down some or sometimes they have kiddie pools at the trials.Thanks God we are inside this weekend with AC.
 
You're not being a party pooper. I am worried, on Saturday Koji wouldn't really drink a lot. He also wasn't eating his ice. Sigh. I could make Smart Water ice (they have electrolytes), but my thought is, if dogs don't sweat, do we need to replace their electrolytes like humans?

The fan I was talking about was the Ryobi one. $30 for the fan. BTW, $30 for the charger. We bought the big Li battery for $90. Ouch. But it is pretty awesome. Still debating on keeping it also. The air is strong though. Much stronger than that of battery powered ones I've seen. Also, typically our cars are pretty far from the set-up area, so using the car battery thingy isn't always an option.

I was wondering about the thick coat/cool coat bit. With Koji's undercoat out, he's svelte. lol. So, I don't think he has that problem. But I also wonder if his coat will get heavier or if this is it (he is 3 yo now).

Lastly, one lady said she used to buy a block of ice and put that in with the dog. So they can lie next to it, if a breeze kicks in it helps cool the air, and they can lick/bite it if they want too.
 
Just a reference point for others.

SoCal is hot but dry so things like swamp coolers work well. In the south the humidity is very high so evaporation is harder to come by.

Dry? What's that? J/K. I think that was the problem this past weekend. We were having unusually high heat AND humidity (nothing like the south, but when we hit temps in the 90s, it's not usually over 45% humidity).

What do swamp coolers do?
 
When we purchased the Ryobi fan, Home Depot was selling a Ryobi kit that included a bag, two batteries, charger, flashlight, and wireless drill. That set was actually cheaper than buying a battery and charger. (I believe this is the set but it doesn't show the bag or charger: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

I think you made out with that kit. And it's probably why they're no longer selling it. LOL. Hubby was like, we need to buy a bag for it. I said "WHY, we can just put it in one of the other bags. It's not liek its huge."
 
Dry? What's that? J/K. I think that was the problem this past weekend. We were having unusually high heat AND humidity (nothing like the south, but when we hit temps in the 90s, it's not usually over 45% humidity).

What do swamp coolers do?
Swamp coolers are basically misters. They inject some water into a fan that evaporates creating cool area. They don't work here but I heard they are real popular in commercial buildings in AZ. If your fan is waterproof you can do the same with a spray bottle to see the effect.

45% and things don't catch on fire :confused2: j/k here was us on the 4th of July http://www.wunderground.com/history...tml?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA So you can see it is a lot different.
 
Swamp coolers are basically misters. They inject some water into a fan that evaporates creating cool area. They don't work here but I heard they are real popular in commercial buildings in AZ. If your fan is waterproof you can do the same with a spray bottle to see the effect.

45% and things don't catch on fire :confused2: j/k here was us on the 4th of July http://www.wunderground.com/history...tml?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA So you can see it is a lot different.

Anyone? Is the Ryobi fan waterproof? I can always spray water from the front side. lol. Yeah, for the past weekend, that wouldn't have helped. Trust me, I wouldn't last in the South.

Nah, things don't catch fire until we hit the teens or single digits. And that's when my allergies act up and I'm not allowed outside. LOL.
 
My friend who goes to agility trials with an Aussie bought a crate fan- I think it was from Clean Run but maybe Petedge- can't remember. you can buy a cooling block with it- like the blue ice packs. so hangs on the crate and blows cool air on the pup :smile2:
 
Back
Top