How fast things can change (agility performance)

I gotta admit. Last nights training session was good. Crazy, but good. My trainer was actually training. lol. But seriously. It's amazing how much I forget to do too. Koji had to do a 180 a bit over and I simply forgot to leave my arm up, so I pulled him through (threadle) and he jumped the wrong direction. One yell telling me to keep my arm up, and I was like, oh yeah. Duh!

On the upside, trainer actually helped me with the DW contact and we used peanut butter. Koji was so hyped up to get it, he broke his stay (and all we were doing was the DW). I actually led-out and looked back, but as I was taking a breath, he broke. BUT, I caught him, put him back, lead out.....stared at him, breathed, jerked, breathed, then released!!! Yay. I already see small results. I'm also trying to change up my routine when I lead out. Hence the "breathing". One small step for puppykind.....

Also, my friend who's a trainer is holding a 5-week obedience class. I am signing up because Koji needs to learn obedience outside and with other dogs. And I want to be sure I'm teaching it correctly. So, that's a good thing.

I'm also throwing in agility foundation work. Like when Toffee was standing on the plastic bin. Gotta learn rear-end awareness. Although Koji doesn't turn to be near me, he moves away. One step at a time though.

Training everyday is tiring for me. lol. I work on stay, take a break. Work on recall, take a break. Do some agility stuff (mostly collection and rear end awareness). Poor Koji, his dinner takes like 30 minutes. lol.
 
Cheryl -
I can't remember if this has been said or not through the course of this discussion so I'm going to say it here.

If there is ONE piece of advice I can offer you for your training (and retraining) with Koji, it's this: be consistent about your requirements for reward. Don't settle for 'close enough'. (I just had to remind DH about this last night.)

Now is also a good time to really introduce that non-reward verbal marker we discussed over in the Agility area. If you decide to use one, I use Oops, make sure that is the ONLY thing you say before you redo the trick. Don't hold a conversation with him. (I just got lectured on that by my agility trainer last week. :o)

Glad his training went well last night! I hope this is the first step toward your ultimate goal. The obedience class with other dogs around sounds like a GREAT idea!
 
Cheryl -
I can't remember if this has been said or not through the course of this discussion so I'm going to say it here.

If there is ONE piece of advice I can offer you for your training (and retraining) with Koji, it's this: be consistent about your requirements for reward. Don't settle for 'close enough'. (I just had to remind DH about this last night.)

Now is also a good time to really introduce that non-reward verbal marker we discussed over in the Agility area. If you decide to use one, I use Oops, make sure that is the ONLY thing you say before you redo the trick. Don't hold a conversation with him. (I just got lectured on that by my agility trainer last week. :o)

Glad his training went well last night! I hope this is the first step toward your ultimate goal. The obedience class with other dogs around sounds like a GREAT idea!

Oh yeah, it's been said. And that's why I want to take the obedience class, so I'm consistent and correct in my training (and forcing myself to apply it to everything). And good point about the NRM. I have to find a phrase I'll use w/o emotion and go from there. I can do that at home (he tends to get really worked up for some reason when I'm training him there) when I start working on agility stuff.
 
Just pulled myself from the USDAA trial my club is hosting. On the upside (for them probably), I can work probably all day.

I have to admit, I don't feel good about pulling out of the trial. I hate doing that. I am a sick sick person. I need to keep reminding myself that no agility is good for Koji right now. :) Well, minimum agility. And good for my pocketbook.
 
Agility

Just pulled myself from the USDAA trial my club is hosting. On the upside (for them probably), I can work probably all day.

I have to admit, I don't feel good about pulling out of the trial. I hate doing that. I am a sick sick person. I need to keep reminding myself that no agility is good for Koji right now. :) Well, minimum agility. And good for my pocketbook.

I think that is a good choice but I still think you should train also.Why can't you put Kojii in NADAC in like Tunnelers and Hoopers till you can fix what is wrong,:biggrin2:
 
I think that is a good choice but I still think you should train also.Why can't you put Kojii in NADAC in like Tunnelers and Hoopers till you can fix what is wrong,:biggrin2:

Actually, there is a NADAC trial the following weekend. Waiting for the premium to go up (I should check again, nope not up yet). I wanted to see what they were offering and was going to do one day of fun games.

Oh, I am training (just in class and basics at home), but I'm not focusing hard on specific things right now. If that makes sense.

And I am doing a JWW run later next month. No STD for now. And those will also let me know how far we've come (or not come) with his stay.

Little things. But at least I'm not trialing every other weekend 4-10 runs. saving a TON of money. or at least trying to.
 
Back
Top