I am so out of touch with the cost of a Sheltie!

Most of my friends charge $1200 for pet puppies. Texas is overcharging. Go through the ASSA breeder list.

Not necessarily, Chris. Northeast breeders are around $1800 and I know some Midwest breeders getting $2000 for puppies. We complain about Sheltie prices but other breeds are much higher. Schnauzer puppies, for instance, go for around $2500. Like everything else, it's what the market will bear. And, of course, for breeders, the rising cost of stud fees, vet care, whelping, raising puppies, equipment, meds, etc. etc. etc. etc. Having a litter is not cheap! Every breeder I know is lucky to break even on a litter. It's not a money making enterprise.
 
Yep I'm surprised too. When I got Deska he was $500, now it's 3 times as much; of course his medical expenses have been at least 10 times that! But you're right, buying your pup is just the start of expenses. A special needs dog can cost a lot, not that they aren't worth every cent, but you just don't know beforehand.
 
Not necessarily, Chris. Northeast breeders are around $1800 and I know some Midwest breeders getting $2000 for puppies. We complain about Sheltie prices but other breeds are much higher. Schnauzer puppies, for instance, go for around $2500. Like everything else, it's what the market will bear. And, of course, for breeders, the rising cost of stud fees, vet care, whelping, raising puppies, equipment, meds, etc. etc. etc. etc. Having a littler is not cheap! Every breeder I know is lucky to break even on a litter. It's not a money making enterprise.
Holy Toledo!! :eek2: I'd better start saving!
 
Holy Toledo!! :eek2: I'd better start saving!

I bought my Sheltie puppy, Devon, in July (picked him up in early August) for $1,000. That was roughly the going price on puppyfinder.com during July and August for an AKC registerable puppy. Puppies with pedigrees showing champions in their linage were going for $1,500 up to $2,500. Puppies with unregistered parents were going for approximately $500 to $800. Female puppies were sometimes $100 to $200 more expensive than males from the same litter, but not always. Also puppies over about 14 weeks old were sometimes discounted a couple hundred dollars versus the above.
 
Last edited:
There is a breeder in Texas who is in ill health and dear friends of hers are trying to find homes for two of her babies. One sounds absolutely perfect for us! She is 1.5 years old, and is supposed to be VERY affectionate, sweet, adaptable and happy and bright. Leash trained, crate trained, housebroken and healthy. We are told that they feel sure she would be happy as an "only" Sheltie. Very good price! Photos are adorable! The nice woman who currently has the dog, has the mom to this dog and this female was originally hers, so she knows her very well. This baby has championship blood lines on both sides, but the breeder who is ill wants her to find the perfect home. Our description of our home and lifestyle sealed her interest in us having first option on this girl. My husband and I are in the serious discussion phase!
Stay tuned!!
 
Fantastic news! Sounds like she'd be a perfect fit. Can't wait to hear an update!:fl

Ok, so here's the deal. My husband is hesitant for many sound reasons and I totally understand. When I discussed the reasons with the interim owner, she totally understood and was very nice. She said that this dog was coming into season and she was not going to pursue another buyer right now. She was going to do one of two things. Breed her (championship bloodlines on both sides and she has a fantastic temperament), or she was not going to breed her, but she will have to wait until she safely gets through the perils of being in season and will contact us at that time to see if my husband is ready and willing for another dog at this time. Either way, this gives of us time to decide exactly what is best for everyone. This current owner may also keep her. She was one of her pups originally. That would also actually make me very happy. The dog is obviously very well taken care of, has a beautiful place to live where she is happy.

So, whatever is going to happen, won't happen immediately and everyone is ok with that. If it is meant to be, everything will work out just fine. I firmly believe that.
 
Hopefully things work out in the end. I hope they don't breed her just for the sake of breeding her, at just a year and a half she's too young and X-rays and such usually aren't done until they're 2 (not to mention she's not a Ch.yet). Perhaps the interim owner is attached to her already and doesn't want to let her go.
 
Back
Top