Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

I can't manage with so much fur

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by alonsoe, Mar 23, 2015.

1. BarbV

BarbV Premium Member

The best way for dealing with the sheltie coat is regular bath and blow dry. I used to be against too often bathing of dogs because I was concerned about skin irritation. But using the right products and tools, there is nothing like a bath and high velocity dryer to blow out that coat.

So, either invest in a high velocity dryer yourself or prepare yourself for 6 week visits to a groomer If it is any consolation, I share your pain. This is my Callan at 19 months old......He is now 34 months old. And his fur is still exploding.

2. Harbour

Harbour Forums Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Waynesville
  3. Hannah

Hannah Forums Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014
    NSW, Australia
    What a magnificent coat!

4. Alexandr Lorvinus

Alexandr Lorvinus Forums Novice

Dec 27, 2017
    My parents have both male and female. They live at the first floor with hard wooden floor without big carpets (except their own) and they don`t go upstairs anytime. So to clean kitchen, corridor and living room is quite easy with powerful vacuum for pet hair and a bit of water.

5. Daisy's Mom

Daisy's Mom Forums Regular

Aug 25, 2017
    My Sheltie is nothing compared to my white Persian cat. I have never seen an animal produce so much fur! So fine and it gets everywhere. That said, we keep pet mitts all over the house and they are terrific for removing fur from clothes and furniture that you otherwise cannot get at. Highly recommend them to anyone who wants to combat fur.

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I gotta agree with Barb, a blower is the best thing to manage the fur. I took Piper to the pet store to bathe him and blow him out (self serve) and his coat is so incredibly soft and mat free. I'm going to take him every 6 weeks until I get a blower. Best thing about it is there's no clean up there lol.