I.D. Chips-Your thoughts

We were given a microchip from the breeder when we got Bailey. We had it put in when she was spayed. She doesn't wear a collar or tag around the house but of course when we go for a walk the tag is on her collar.

Not sure what we will do for Panda at this point. May get microchip for her when she is spayed.
 
Not sure if you heard this story from earlier in the week - about the dog that went missing for 9yrs and was reunited with its owner thanks to its microchip
-----------------------------------
An emaciated dog rescued from a squalid backyard in Melbourne is set to be reunited with its owners in Brisbane, some nine years after disappearing.

Chloe Rushby, 17, was stunned when the RSPCA called to say her beloved childhood puppy Muffy had been found alive, albeit 2000km away.

"It would be fair to say that they were extremely elated and extremely excited by the call," RSPCA spokeswoman Gail Coulter told the Herald Sun.

"They were initially shocked and confused, but when we mentioned the name Muffy — which is part of the microchip information — and gave them a description of her, they knew it was their pet lost so many years ago."

It is still not known how Muffy came to be in Melbourne or where the fluffy white bitser has spent most of the last nine years.

Ms Coulter found the flea-bitten dog sleeping on a filthy piece of cardboard in a Melbourne backyard following an anonymous tipoff.

An allergy to fleas had left the malnourished Muffy with severe dermatitis.

Ms Coulter said Muffy's story was very unusual.

"The fact that someone went to the trouble of calling in her case as one of neglect probably saved her life," she said.

"Then the fact that she was microchipped made us realise she had probably come from a very different home and background to the one we found her in."

Muffy will be flown back to Brisbane next week to be reunited with Chloe.
 
Microchipping is mandatory here and there is no higher incidence of cancer here than anywhere else in the world. I think its a great idea - I always worry that having nice dogs they are more likely to be stolen (would you believe with all the rescue dogs there have still been dog stealing rings going on). Plus if they get out of their collar, which shelties are apt to do, I know they will come back. My vet scans their microchips at their annual checkups to make sure it is still easily read.
 
We got Cocoa chipped when she was a puppy and she's had no problems. I was going to get Blue chipped when they did his neuter but he was already chipped so didn't have to worry about it.
I never thought I would until about 4 years ago when my mini pin (she was a rare blue & tan) went missing and was not chipped, so there was no way to get her home. I am positive she was stolen. She was there one minute and gone the next. We called for her for 4 hours and searched for days and never found her.:( Ever since then I vowed that I would have some way of identifying my furkids if it ever happened again.
 
I was reading about this scanner business not too long ago. Apparently, the scanner the Vet has is different from the scanners at the pound. So if your vet installs a chip that can be scanned on his scanner, then the chip would not scan correctly by the scanner at the pound. I think I'll wait until they have made it so a scanner can read every type of microchip. Just getting one kind of microchip will not work everywhere right now.

I work at an animal shelter and we have universal scanners that can read any type of microchip.
Naturally I can't speak for every shelter/pound but I would think they would all have universal scanners. There's no point in having a scanner that only reads one kind of microchip.

Also, at our shelter every animal that comes in gets scanned three different times; once upon intake, once by the vets who check their health before they go up for adoption and once more by the vets again just before the dog goes to its new home. This is just a precaution so no one's lost dog gets adopted out!
 
A tattoo is the best way to go I quess. My girl is chipped with Avid, but the breeder had her vet insert one. My boy doesn't have anything. I figured too if either one was taken from me, the chip doesn't mean anything.

Neither one leaves the yard, and they both wear their collars with ID tags which you can't see because the fluff covers them.
 
A tattoo is the best way to go I quess. My girl is chipped with Avid, but the breeder had her vet insert one. My boy doesn't have anything. I figured too if either one was taken from me, the chip doesn't mean anything.

Neither one leaves the yard, and they both wear their collars with ID tags which you can't see because the fluff covers them.

Can they identified by tatoos? Both my boys have them and both are registered with CKC in my name and current address.

I opted not for tatoos, but after Bacca's little adventure last weekend, I'm re-thinking that decision.
 
Can they identified by tatoos? Both my boys have them and both are registered with CKC in my name and current address.

I opted not for tatoos, but after Bacca's little adventure last weekend, I'm re-thinking that decision.

I think tattoos are great, certainly you can register that number, it is more visible then a micro chip if someone would decide to pick either one of them up, or get lost. I could be mistaken on this but I think they tattoo the ears on most animals. A tattoo would put fear in a person to take them I think.

It really is a hard decision to make on what to do, to keep them safe. Bacca don't do that again!
 
Well today Lacey was chipped. After e-mailing her breeder and talking to the animal shelter I went with the Avid chip. The breeders reasoning is they are the largest chip manufacturer so they will always be supplying shelters with scanners. She did say they had originally started chipping their pups and actually got two calls, out of 25 pups chipped, looking for the owners. Basically the cost is why she doesn't chip dogs she sells. But her "gang" is chipped. Also, the county shelter uses Avid chips. But they did say they have universal scanners and they can read all chips.

Had to take her to a different Vet to get her chipped. Apparently the shelter will chip for a nominal fee. But I really didn't want the people at the shelter chipping her. I have to say it was incredibly easy. She got her poke for her rabies and then her chip shot. She didn't even flinch.

Now just registering the chip is kind of a pita. I can't find a web site where you can actually do it on line. It looks like the only way is by mail. I did register her on another site that was free. I figure the more sites the better chances of recovery. Again my issue is not so much lost as I am afraid she will be stolen, especially when traveling.

Just though I would let everyone know that I made the decision to have her chipped.
 
Back
Top