Chris
Premium Member
I've never held a razor, so I can't comment on the size that might have been used. I only know that my own dogs were razored beyond necessary and I'm still waiting for the guard hair to go back.
I don't question that Chris knows what she's doing.
But I just want to make sure that folk who don't know, go out there have their dogs shaved for summer as a result of this thread. For must dogs, its unnecessary. The Sheltie fur guards them against the elements - sun and rain. Regular grooming is all that should be required. And if the weather is really hot and your pups are outside, a little hose down from time to time.
Barb, you bring up very good points. I think if I hadn't had Irina to do the clip properly, I might have not done this. I, too, believe that proper grooming does for all but the hottest days -- sure works for the rest of the crew.
But poor Bitsy is always hot! Even in winter, we find her sleeping on the porch. She's healthy (aside from the liver issues we're treating), but in the summer, she's been miserable. Since she doesn't show, we figured what the heck -- it's just hair.
And she is sooooo much happier now. She's already more active, which will help with weight. That said, it was an extreme choice for an extreme Sheltie.
She's been blowing coat since March. Will it ever stop, and where is it all coming from?!