I got a Ferrari dog...

so here is our story Leo at his 6 months graduated from one puppy class, is presently in obedience class... great attention, excellent recall... UNTIL dogs start running.... the we fly to the moon and there is not amount of cheese or liver that will get us back...
I took Leo to puppy/ fundamentals agility class yesterday and we spent entire time behind blanketed gate barking and lunging at everyone running...
It would be simple but it is not- at pooch park Leo initially gets hyper from running dogs but few minutes later he is done and stays by my side most of the time, runs to play with other dogs but is recallable... he barks at every dog while he is on leash but plays well when he in park or playgroups...
wind shield wipers send Leo to the moon and so are passing cars... yet he checks in with me while running and playing all the time and more interested in playing with me ...
I bring Leo every time to our agility class with Che and spend entire length of beginner class/ Che is in intermediate/ walking Leo by the gates, working him obedience/ attention and we successful unless closest dog to us starts running....
I think Leo will be great agility dog once we get past the motion sensitivity, he runs tunnels like he was born to do it and tippy board is no problem etc...
I only wanted a Chevy agility dog but now I think I got a Ferrari... how do I drive?:confused2:


OMG.... You just described Riley!! He did awesome in puppy class and at dog parks, but barks like a lunatic during regular obedience when other dogs are moving past him. We're starting beginner agility in March, so now I know to expect an even more lunatic pup:eek2:
If it helps, in obedience class my trainer has us put peanut butter on Riley's nose to distract him when we enter, others leave, and when too much movement happens. He then gets praised for being quiet and sitting nicely. We also do a lot of training during 'down' times to keep his focus off the other dogs. The key is getting focused before he sees the others going.
 
What about a ball as a reward instead of a treat? He wants to run, so let him run as a reward. Tully is also very motion sensitive so thats what I had to do. When Tully did obedience her reward was her Kong Air Donut - and I can tell you quite a lot of the other dogs in the class were envious! Even agility can be too slow for Tully (all that standing around between runs) so out comes the Air Donut, she also gets it before and after a run at a trial.
 
OMG.... You just described Riley!! He did awesome in puppy class and at dog parks, but barks like a lunatic during regular obedience when other dogs are moving past him. We're starting beginner agility in March, so now I know to expect an even more lunatic pup:eek2:
If it helps, in obedience class my trainer has us put peanut butter on Riley's nose to distract him when we enter, others leave, and when too much movement happens. He then gets praised for being quiet and sitting nicely. We also do a lot of training during 'down' times to keep his focus off the other dogs. The key is getting focused before he sees the others going.

well, Leo did today wonderfully while watching beginners agility runs, of course there was a gate between us but he was checking in with me every time, did a tunnel, tire, bridge and even baby teeter during off class time but then started barking at teeter for moving:eek2:
Leo also continues to lunge and bark at every passing dog and when I asked our trainer and behaviorist why Leo does it, if he is fearful, I was told "He is an a$$:lol: but we like them that way in agility, once we get past these issues they fun dogs to run..."
 
well, Leo did today wonderfully while watching beginners agility runs, of course there was a gate between us but he was checking in with me every time, did a tunnel, tire, bridge and even baby teeter during off class time but then started barking at teeter for moving:eek2:
Leo also continues to lunge and bark at every passing dog and when I asked our trainer and behaviorist why Leo does it, if he is fearful, I was told "He is an a$$:lol: but we like them that way in agility, once we get past these issues they fun dogs to run..."

Yay! He'll probably get better with more work then. Hmmmm....Riley did not get described as an a$$..... Just frustrated that he couldn't play/chase the others. "hey, wait I want to play too!! Come on mom, let me go say hi and play!!!!":rolleyes2:
 
Back
Top