I think I found a common theme...advice please?

Oh it's definitely a desire to not look like a moron out there! :lol:

I know that feeling.

My first trial I was so nervous because I didn't want to go out there and look like I didn't have a clue. Thankfully it was one the trials my club sponsors and everyone was so supportive and encouraging.

Then when I started to run CPE level 2, some of the courses we had to run were a combination of levels 2 & 3. I looked around at who I was walking courses with and felt, again, like I didn't belong out there. Some of these people were running multiple dogs and their other dogs were levels 4 & 5 or working toward a championship.

The only way I was able to get over that feeling was to keep reminding myself that EVERYONE on that course started where I am regardless of where they are now. They've "been there, done that" and neither I nor Edan could do something they hadn't seen before from someone else, or even themselves. I basically told myself I was just "joining the bad run club" and there were a LOT of great agility folks in that club - including big names like Donna Rohaus, Linda Mecklenburg and Susan Garrett. :lol: (Yes, I've seen Donna Rohaus have a really bad run in USDAA and AKC. Haven't had the pleasure to watch Susan or Linda run. But the point is, it happens to everyone.)
 
Last edited:
Yeah I know it happens to everyone. For some reason it still doesn't make the jitters go away. I really am starting to think valium is the answer :lol: Just kidding :wink2:
 
Yeah I know it happens to everyone. For some reason it still doesn't make the jitters go away. I really am starting to think valium is the answer :lol: Just kidding :wink2:

I get super nervous before I go in any ring. I showed conformation this weekend and was a wreck. So I hired someone to show my dog at the next set of shows. :)
 
Yeah I know it happens to everyone. For some reason it still doesn't make the jitters go away. I really am starting to think valium is the answer :lol: Just kidding :wink2:

I'm the same way. I don't feel quite as bad as I used to (I used to think I was going to get sick!), but I still get super nervous. I usually obsess over the course (walking it over and over and over), and then obsess some more until we run.

I'm afraid that I'm going to make a mistake and look stupid. I know, I know, it happens to everyone, but I can't help it! I know Bentley can do it...but can I? :lol:
 
I'm the same way. I don't feel quite as bad as I used to (I used to think I was going to get sick!), but I still get super nervous. I usually obsess over the course (walking it over and over and over), and then obsess some more until we run.

I'm afraid that I'm going to make a mistake and look stupid. I know, I know, it happens to everyone, but I can't help it! I know Bentley can do it...but can I? :lol:

I normally step up to the ring and say "Oh no! I've totally forgotten the course!" and sometimes I really have and I get totally lost like the first run I posted :biggrin2:
 
I normally step up to the ring and say "Oh no! I've totally forgotten the course!" and sometimes I really have and I get totally lost like the first run I posted :biggrin2:

What I've started doing to combat forgetting the course (since it happened a few times to me this past weekend) is to walk the course many times while looking at the numbers and determining how I'm going to handle it. My last two passes during walk through, I jog and look up - ahead of me instead of at the numbers and let muscle memory take over.

The runs I tried doing that with, I didn't have trouble remembering the course once I got back out there.
 
What I've started doing to combat forgetting the course (since it happened a few times to me this past weekend) is to walk the course many times while looking at the numbers and determining how I'm going to handle it. My last two passes during walk through, I jog and look up - ahead of me instead of at the numbers and let muscle memory take over.

The runs I tried doing that with, I didn't have trouble remembering the course once I got back out there.

I do the exact same thing!!!! :biggrin2:
 
What I've started doing to combat forgetting the course (since it happened a few times to me this past weekend) is to walk the course many times while looking at the numbers and determining how I'm going to handle it. My last two passes during walk through, I jog and look up - ahead of me instead of at the numbers and let muscle memory take over.

The runs I tried doing that with, I didn't have trouble remembering the course once I got back out there.

Great idea, thanks!
 
I've given up on jumping courses atm because I keep getting lost. I have chronic vertigo and for some reason its mostly the jumping courses that I find confusing, I'm wondering if agility courses are easier to remember because the contacts kind of provide markers.
 
Back
Top