Immunization Questions for New Puppy

OwnedByOz

Forums Novice
It's been quite some time since I've had a puppy.

I'm getting a 10 1/2 week old puppy from a reputable breeder this weekend and he will have had one set of shots per breeder.

I've read and heard some conflicting info about what shots and when because shelties tend to have some sensitivity to some.

BTW I live in NE GA and I know some shots are regional.

Is there a good place to find the recommended shot schedule for shelties? I've searched this forum and didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance
 
I would talk to your vet and see what he/she recommends. My vet gives shots every 2 weeks, so my puppy Dusty got/getting his shots at 7 weeks, 9, 11, and 13 weeks. I know my vet doesn't give lepto at a young age due to possible reactions.
 
Here's a great site for an overall basics for Shelties.

http://www.myshelties.com/sheltieinformation.htm

Lepto is a vaccine not for Shelties, Heartgard Not for shelties due to Ivermectin sensitivity. Best of luck with your new Pup and please be certain your vet is upto date on Shelties. They treat such a large array of pets they sometimes end up doing harm to our Precious Shelties.:eek2:
 
Thanks, I'd recently read that Corona, Lepto and Lyme shouldn't be given nor Boretella unless you are boarding your pet. Also, Giardia. This is per Dr. Jean Dodds' recommended Vaccination Schedule (you can google).

I'm familiar with the Ivermectin sensitivity.

Dr. Dodds recommends getting titers done on some of the shots that have been routinely given in the past after the first year as many times they still have the immunity.
 
Back
Top