Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

In-Breeding %

Discussion in 'Pedigrees' started by sable, Apr 26, 2009.

1. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Is that what she does when I'm working? Sends emails to her facebook friends. What a life that dog has...

2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Snort! Too funny! Can you imagine what havoc they would create if they actually could access our computers! Yikes! My favourites section for "online dog stuff" would have to be deleted entirely, else I would get daily deliveries of neat dog stuff!

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Bentley has an email address! It is [email protected]. He sends me emails to ask for things, and to make me laugh. He is a very thoughtful dog. :yes:

4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I would hope to think that love had something to do with that breeding, not just breeding for personality and physical perfection :lol:

It is completely different with people, than animals. For many reasons.

5. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    I would like to know how is inbreeding is different for dogs as opposed for humans and if you can please refer me to appropriate science publications for that. Sometimes it is beneficial to look at the bigger picture over the length of the time and what is coming ...

6. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    There are many books on love :wink2: I am sure you can find them yourself :lol:

In regards to me providing you with scientific publications...I don't have time to do your research for you, but if this is something that interests you, by all means do some research on human chromosomes and canine chromosomes.

7. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    hmm, my main objection was to " it completely different with humans than animals, for many reasons"
    lots of issues to ponder if one has scientific mind and willing to be objective and look at the bigger picture that one cute puppy... or one cute human child for that matter...

8. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I think the difference between inbreeding with humans and dogs are developed mental disabilities. I'm not positive on this, but I'm pretty sure if you breed brother/sister or father/daughter dogs, you're not likely to get a dog with mental disabilites. You probably do have an increased chance of passing on bad genes like thyroid issues, skin disease, etc.

As far humans, the chances of producing a child, who is mentally disabled and/or has down syndrome is very likely.

9. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Well.....

I, like I said before, do not have the time for providing scientific publications. But, as a scientist myself, I see your curiousity, and I encourage you, Sheltieche, to do some research. And share with us! It would be great.

As far as your objection to my statement, "it completely different with humans than animals, for many reasons," I actually said, "It is completely different with people, than animals. For many reasons" just so we are clear, and I am quoted correctly.

And here are my reasons for making this statement:

When I decided to "mate" with my husband and have children :lol: it was because I fell in love with him as a person, his ideals, his morals, and I personally was attracted to him. I did NOT get a piece of paper that listed his family tree, his genetic testing results, his hip x-rays, his obedience degrees (or in human case his college degrees), nor his ch title in front of his name. I also did not mate with him only because my animal instincts told me to do so.

I meant nothing more than what is stated above.

Dogs that are linebred, are done so based on the quality of their genes. Not because one dog fell in love with anothers cousin :wink2:

I hope this made my statement a little clearer to you all :cool:

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  10. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Yes, we should not confuse animal genetics with human genetics. But one thing for sure, you can certainly perpetuate both good and bad genes depending on how you do your homework.

But like many, curious minds want to know just what % of linebreeding is appropriate. Maybe it depends on which dogs/bitches are in the line? So, for instance, there is a strong dog in the line, that is bred into the line several times over, that could create a high % but not necessarily a bad thing?????

Just thinking out loud!