Introducing a new dog into your Sheltie family?

BryanAndLarrysMama

Forums Enthusiast
We have two Shelties brothers that turned 2 in July, 2021. Life is good. We have our routine and they basically tell us what to do to serve them as our masters. LOL

There is a possibility that we may be adopting in my father-in-law's dog in the next several months. He's quite old so taking care of his dog is a challenge at this point. The dog is a 4yr old rat terrier/poodle cross and just the sweetest little fella. They actually got him from a rescue. He wasn't physically hurt/abused, but neglected to the point of being sick and lonely. Now he has a beautiful life and is well loved. And rather than see that my inlaws may need to return him to the shelter at some point, we decided we will take him in because we know he will be spoiled with us and have the love and care he is used to.

But I'm wondering - have any of you introduced a 3rd dog into your house with shelties? Whether or not it's a Sheltie you bring in. I think my barking snarky boys (they're not great with other dogs at first) will do okay, but I'd love to hear any advice or warnings or anything you all may have.

Thank you in advance! <3
 
We have 3 times now brought in a third to an existing pair, and it has all been fine, but all have been Shelties. I make a point to dole out the attention and affection to all the dogs as equally as I can. Monitoring is key especially since I recall your Sheltie boys are on the bigger side and the new guy would be smaller. He sounds like a sweetheart and it would be such an act of kindness for you to take him and not return him to a shelter.

I would especially monitor any rough play if your guys like to rumble, it could scare or hurt a smaller dog. Treats work wonders to integrate a new dog - all 3 need to sit nicely and get their treats together. And when you first introduce them, I always take all 3 on a nice long walk, to settle them down and let them get the idea of each other on neutral territory, not your existing dogs' home turf.
 
so I started with a non-sheltie (Happy), got an adult rescue sheltie (Callie) and then brought the sheltie puppy (Cranberry) home- that was the hardest addition as the puppy had too much energy for the two older dogs.
adding Dixie to Callie and Cran was perfect- no issues. adding Jocu to Cran and Dixie went well- Cran thought Jo was the best toy I ever bought him.
adding Destin to Cran, Dix and Jo went pretty well too.
if they have similar activity levels, it will probably go well....
 
When I first got Riley (he was 5) I had a curmudgeonly 13 year old Cocker female who was a VERY grumpy girl. Although she’d had my mom’s dog with her for years she didn’t take to other dogs. It worried me about introducing an older dog so on the day he came we all went for a walk. My sister with Daisy (my girl) and me with Riley. They got along great and then we went home and it was like they’d been together forever…no problems at all. Having them meet away from the house stopped any territorial behaviour. I lost her the following year but they got along quite well until she passed.
 
I would ask your FIL now for some things that have his little dog's smell on them...a toy. a blanket, some fur clippings, etc and put those thing around your house so your guys get used to to his smell as belonging in their home. And if you are close enough short visits would be good...maybe at a neutral location first or at your FIL's place so it is not a place your guy's feel is their's. As much pre move in introduction as possible, whether it is done through items that belong to your FIL's little guy or actual face to face time, will ease the transition. And once the little guy is actually in your home for good, time will settle any issues as long as you supervise and step in whenever you feel it is needed. As long as none of the dogs involved are dangerously aggressive, it will work out. Initially just let your own guys know that they are not being pushed aside by taking time to spend with them alone as well as times when your new little one is involved.
Trini
 
Back
Top