Is a sheltie right for us?

I was worried about the same things, but just go with what your heart really wants! You won't regret it, shelties are wonderful dogs. As for leaving him or her loose in the house, it can happen! I was living with someone who had a lab and that lab chewed on EVERYTHING. Don't get me wrong, my dog would join in but I think just because the lab was doing it. I started by leaving Cash at home alone and out of the crate for little periods at a time then worked up to longer periods. I can't say he hasn't chewed anything, but only things that I shouldn't have left out in the first place. Now he is really good at roaming around by himself. I can't help you on the cat question, but I do know that if a cat was a part of this household it would run it and the cat would probably be harassing! lol I don't show my dog, but I do brush him three times a week. It really isn't that bad! Cash loves getting groomed and he also just lays back and lets me trim his nails! I think I got lucky with the barking thing. He only barks when he hears things or new people come around, but when I tell him to stop he stops. I think obedience classes would be best.
 
Shelties are amazing dogs! I'm glad you're doing your research before just going out and getting one.

My sheltie is 4, and he just loves going into the kitchen and licking up the floor.. So we have gates to prevent him from going into the kitchen. He's not destructive. However, if you happen to leave a napkin, tissue, or piece of paper around him he might tear it up. Other than that he's not destructive at all! Long walks do wonders for shelties since they are very active and playful animals. Going for a nice long walk (or even jog) helps your dog stay calm and helps you get some exercise! As they say, a tired dog is a happy dog! :wink2:

I doubt a sheltie would harass your cats, but it is a possibility. He might just try to play with them. My sheltie is great with other dogs/animals! He's just very playful and tries to play with any animal he meets. They are herding dogs, so when I play with my dog outside he sometimes nips at my heels like he's herding me. Kinda annoying, kinda cute.

They do have long hair, but they don't really require THAT much grooming. My dog is not a show dog. I brush him every night for like 5-10 minutes before I go to bed. Because I groom him so often, barely any hair comes off on the brush (which is a good thing!!) You could definitely get away with brushing him only once a week, though. The time you really want to brush him is in the summer and winter when they shed their undercoat. Until you get the shedding under control, you might wanna lose the black clothes for a while! :winkgrin:

They are very yappy... Anytime a stranger walks by, he barks. Anytime he wants to play and you ignore him, he barks. If you can keep him away from windows where he can see outside, he won't bark as much. There's really no way to "train" him to bark less, but some exercise will make him tired and he'll go right to sleep.

Hope I helped! :razz:
 
I am new here, but I will add my two cents as well.

I have had two Shelties, one many years in the states, and now, a new furbaby.

My husband and I have a cat and they get along famously, they love each other, poor kitty, he lets Laddie chew his ear, bark in his face, and he just puts up with it, he is very good natured.

I have not let Laddie have full run in the home when I am not here, but when I am home, he does and he is fine, he is 99% housebroken, so, I know the signs when he wants to go "potty" and as to the chewing, well, I think I have enough chew toys around the house for him to be busy. He does not bark much, only when excited if someone we know comes to the door.

I brush him daily, he seems to enjoy it and he looks so pretty afterward.

Yes, he is very active, but, as I am learning, that is "Sheltie" I wish I had his energy, LOL, he loves to play, but, when he follows me to his kennel and I open the door, he goes in on his own, so, I have no worries on that at all.

All in all, Shelties are wonderful, they need attention, but that is a good thing, helps to keep your mind off of yourself.

Let us know the outcome and post pix. Good luck.
 
Beau is my first sheltie/mix. He mixed with 100% sack of sugar. He's is absolutely the sweetest dog ever created.(I'm just a little bit bias, I know). At any rate, each dog is different. When I first brought Beau home he was three years old. I crated him at night and when I left him to do errands. I gradually gave him freedom and the run of my apartment when he earned my trust. He hasn't destroyed anything.

Beau is not your typical Sheltie he really doesn't bark that much. And when he does its appropriate, for instance, Beau knows my neighbors footsteps so he won't bark at them, however, he will bark at maintenance workers footsteps or delivery people's footsteps. If I am sitting at my computer when I'm doing this he will come and poke me in the butt then run to the door and bark and come back to me. I get up and go to the door and tell him,"No one wants to come in here and he needs to be quiet." he settles down after that. He just wants to know that I know. Its almost like a little game.

I do exercise him ALOT. Through out our neighborhood in philadelphia we are known as the Lady with dog. He is so sweet natured that people just come up to pet him and will stop their cars get his attention.

I forgot to add, Beau is afraid of other dogs, I don't think whoever had him before me did not socialize him well with other dogs, but, he is absolutely fine with cats, in fact, he tries to get them to chase him and they all give him a look like,' What the heck dog, I'm a cat leave me alone fool"


The answer to you questions is it depends, much of what you have asked depends on the temperament of the dog you chose and the training and time you are willing to do to make your dog be happy and successful.
 
Casey and Bonnie are free in the house while we are gone. Annabelle will still destroy the box of Kleenex if she is uncrated. Once the tissues are destroyed, she behaves. But apparently, they are evil and must be shredded. The young ones- no way yet. They plot against me.

Casey and Tara bark at everything! Annabelle and Clara only bark when there is a good reason.

As for cats- Mine LOVE their cats. The cats and dogs groom each other. When the cats were kittens, the dogs herded them when they were misbehaving. The species sleep together, play together, and I believe truly love each other. However, I have seen some shelties on rescue sites listed as "No Cats" adoptees.

They can be stubborn. Be more stubborn. But if you go visit a litter and choose the one that chooses you, you will wind up with one of the best dogs (if not THE best) you will ever have. Casey and Tara are so easy to train that you show them once, and they have it. Annabelle and Clara are as smart, but you need to convince them that they WANT to do what you want them to. (Clara is a tougher sell.)
 
We have four Shelties; all but one we got as puppies. We did crate training with the puppies for about 4-5 months. We have a dog door, so all control their own bathroom times. We live in the couontry, so barking isn't an issue.

Once past the puppy stage, destructiveness wasn't an issue for us. Even then, it was very limited. While there is an adult home most of the time, we can leave the whole gang on their own for hours at a stretch.

I groom about every two weeks.
 
Back
Top